Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
To create, maintain and improve health, safety and environmental standards throughout the site and be responsible for ensuring that safety and environmental legislation is followed. To drive forwards the Group Strategy through site based initiatives and control of the site plan. To implement, monitor and review protective and preventative measures, with the fundamental objective being to ensure policies and practices are adopted to minimise operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and environmental concerns.
Responsible for inspecting and evaluating the environment, equipment and processes in working areas to ensure compliance with government safety regulations and industry standards. Your key goal is to protect the employees, customers and the environment.
You will identify risks and recommend changes to protect workers, and educate employees on how to prevent health problems through the use of safety training programs. Additionally, you will support the management team by overseeing incident investigations to identify their causes and find ways to prevent them in the future.
Reporting to the Site Director, with a dotted line to the group Health & Safety Manager and Group Environment Manager, you will provide technical expertise and industry knowledge to support management to enable continuous improvement in Health, Safety and Environmental standards throughout the site. Advising and Educating managers, trades unions and workers, the Health, Safety and Environmental Manager provides the knowledge and skills to help generate a positive health and safety culture and to ensure that occupational risk is properly controlled.
Tasks may vary but typically involve:
- Proactively influencing all levels of the business to ensure that safety and environment is incorporated and considered correctly as part of the daily activities.
- A strong focus on behaviors relating to personal safety, whilst working with groups to design initiatives and intervention plans for continuous improvement
- Producing statistics and trending for managers after reporting and analysing accidents and near miss figures;
- Training and involvement of managers and employees in reporting health and safety issues and minimising risks;
- Advising on a range of specialist areas, including fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases;
- Maintaining the site EPR license
- Outlining safe operational procedures which identify all relevant hazards and risks;
- Carrying out risk assessments with focus on risk reduction planning.
- Close liaison with group OHSE risk management with regard to audits, objectives and performance KPI’s;
- Liaising with officials from the regulatory authorities to ensure the organisation is compliant with mandatory regulations;
- Keeping up to date with new legislation;
- Carrying out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented, keeping records of their findings and producing reports suggesting improvements;
- Supporting the management team in accident investigations on sites, liaising with the authorities, producing subsequent reports and recommendations;
- Keeping up to date by attending Institution of Occupational Safety and Health seminars and reading professional journals;
- Working closely with the Engineering Manager to ensure safe installation and commissioning of equipment;
- Attending monthly HSE committee meetings;
- Practice safe working techniques and re-enforce the safety policies, guidelines, and procedures as set out by the Company;
- Provide daily guidance and direction in to employee, managers, supervisor level to ensure a
- common and effective approach;
- Developing and implementing a plan to correct or prevent a loss and audit the plan to ensure its
- Ensure that contractor personnel working on the property are in compliance with company policies, health, safety and environmental requirements.
- Provide advice, assist, and audit line management to ensure that effective HSE is implemented and working;
- Perform and contribute to the Site Training Plans by emergency response training;
- Maintain working relationships with Regulatory Agencies, ensure inspections by regulatory agencies are coordinated and deficiencies minimised and corrected;
- Coordinate site Senior management team on facility deficiencies and monthly safety inspections;
- Assist with maintaining the Site Preparedness and Emergency Plans & Procedures;
- Review accidents and incidents which occur in the area of responsibility work with and support the site teams to improve and conduct effective incident investigations, reporting and managing the corrective actions;
- Maintain and review the Safety Management System, and the Environment Management System;
- Manage and support team based risk assessments and regularly conduct training needs analysis.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are
not necessarily exhaustive.
Travel to site including to corporate and operational offices as required and perform any additional duties as
- Demonstrable track record of achievement in a senior Health, Safety and Environment Role.
- Ambition and true self-motivation, the role requires high energy and flexibility levels.
- Excellent communicator, and motivator with a professional attitude.
- Logical thinker and not afraid of stating position.
- Actively promotes best practice and encourages factory teams to make and accept change.
- Active participant in team initiatives for improvement ideas.
- Able to facilitate meetings and deliver Health, Safety and Environment training.
- NEBOSH Diploma Health, Safety (or equivalent)
- IEMA Associate Certificate in Environmental Management
- Knowledge of ISO 14001
- Knowledge of BS (OHSAS) 18001
- Knowledge of ISO 50001
- Lead Auditor