- Protea Recruitment Ltd
- Argyll and Bute
- £50k to £60k DOE/NEG
- Closing date
- 12 Jun 2023
- Engineering, Production & Manufacturing, FMCG Jobs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Protea Recruitment is working with one of the UK's leading manufacturers in their sector. This award-winning Food Manufacturer is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join their senior leadership team. Due to their location, a full relocation would be essential for this role. There is however no sponsorship available for this role, so UK work to right already in place is essential for this role.
This role is Monday to Friday, 08:30 - 17:00
Key Purpose of the Position
- Responsible for the leadership, organisation, control, and development of the engineering team, who in turn are responsible for maintaining the plant, buildings and other facilities in an effective and safe manner and assisting the site in delivering its business plan.
- The Engineering Manager will have a primary focus on delivering site performance improvement through the development of the site’s Maintenance Management, Project Management, Best Practice share/innovation and Continuous Improvement
- People development and engagement is fundamental to the delivery of these improvements as we seek to enhance the skills within the organisation to deliver long-term goals. It will be essential to build strong working relationships with the Senior Management Team to deliver improvements in site efficiencies and key performance improvements.
- To support all these initiatives the Engineering Manager has a governance responsibility, which will account for all statutory and regulatory requirements across the site.
- The role will have a responsibility to oversee the training & development of skills required of all engineering staff and to develop and manage the R&M budget.
NATURE & SCOPE OF THE ROLE
- The Engineering Manager’s main challenge is to ensure plant, equipment, buildings, and facilities are maintained to a standard that delivers an effective and safe operation by having the correctly balanced planned maintenance strategy that is delivered in a cost-effective manner.
- The Engineering Manager has to develop the engineering and compliance strategy to meet the day-to-day and long-term goals of the organisation in a safe and sustainable manner. This will ensure that the site is complying with all relevant environmental standards e.g. ISO14001
- The Engineering Manager is also required to manage the site’s capital plan and implement a program of continuous improvement, to reduce engineering spend, reduce energy usage, and improve the delivery of engineering services to the site; this includes managing engineering contracts including water & waste removal contracts.
- The Engineering Manager will be required to provide technical support to the completion of Total Asset Stewardship for all equipment based on a criticality assessment and implement a structured program of Planned Maintenance and Asset Management to improve reliability and quality.
- The Engineering Manager will be required to ensure that there is a current criticality analysis for the site and equipment and that there are suitable plans in place to mitigate serious failures.
- The Engineering Manager will be required to review all equipment failure information and lead the close-out of failure prevention work by ensuring an understanding of and removal of the root causes of all major and key chronic failure modes on all equipment.
- The Engineering Manager will be required to develop a team of engineers to deliver the Lean Manufacturing goals, drive continuous improvement and lead the site towards an integrated manufacturing approach to engineering and operational management (Pillar Owner Asset Care and Change Management MPS Pillar championing and driving the site maturity profile).
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Ideally qualified to degree level or equivalent having obtained at least 5 years of senior management experience within an FMCG / food manufacturing company or equivalent. Minimum HND qualified
- Excellent communication and people management skills to deliver through people.
- A dynamic achiever, able to think “outside of the box”
- Able to work in a calm, controlled and effective manner in a fast-moving production environment you will provide stability and guidance to the site management and engineering teams
- Able to demonstrate excellent coaching and influencing skills and the ability to motivate your team to deliver outstanding results.
- Proven budgetary control skills and good IT literacy.
- Highly motivated by the challenge of Continuous Improvement, you will understand the very latest tools and techniques to lead a program of lean manufacturing, engineering improvement and best practice sharing.
- Able to demonstrate significant success in improving business performance through a structured and systematic approach to Planned Maintenance and Asset Management.
- Strong and broad-based engineering/compliance management background with experience in liquid/food operations in a hygienic environment
- Experience in Project Management and a working knowledge of CDM, GMP, 5S and TPM
- A strong team player with experience at the senior management level and the competencies required to be an effective member of the senior leadership team.
- To improve Health and Safety standards across the department and ensure that the site is secure.
- To deliver reliability-based maintenance across the site in a cost-effective manner.
- To maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the planned maintenance team, specialist electrical, and mechanical roles and the engineering managers
- Formulate, develop and implement an engineering and compliance strategy for the site.
- To oversee the management of contractors and third-party contracts to ensure the best service delivery.
- To prepare, analyse and forecast capital expenditure and engineering department R&M budget requirements
- To monitor and control capital projects and deliver within time and financial constraints
- Drive energy reduction on site, through initiatives, projects and education
- To implement and monitor engineering best practices, including asset care and improvement programs
- To develop and implement comprehensive training and development plans for engineering staff to support the best practice of all engineers on site.
- To be aware of new technologies and identify where to apply such technology to the benefit of the business.
- To communicate both formally and informally, company and departmental information to the engineering staff.
- To work closely with the site management team to ensure good working relationships, to improve efficiencies and to deliver key performance improvements.
- To ensure that effective recruitment, induction and ongoing performance management is carried out within the engineering dept.
- Support the integration and structural change strategy of production & engineering into a manufacturing team
- Ensure that all statutory requirements are met and audits/accreditations are achieved against all relevant legislative standards
- Where appropriate lead a major project/business initiative that impacts on the site, with a view to developing the job holder’s leadership skills further
KPIs to measure Performance
- Site OEE Performance
- Contractor Management
- Supplier Management
- Best Practice Principles
- Breakdown & Minor Stops rates by Line
- Planned work rate percentage – daily and weekly
- Planned maintenance schedule compliance – daily and weekly.
- Maintenance Spend (R&M and Labour) budget compliance – weekly and in period.
- Capital expenditure – budget compliance by the project.
- Stores stock accuracy
How to Apply
Please send a copy of your CV or call Gareth on 01313785870 for more details.
Lead consultant for this vacancy: Gareth Steedman
**Protea Recruitment has authorization from our client to advertise and recruit on their behalf.
If you have not heard from one of our consultants within five working days from submission, you have not met the criteria of this vacancy set by our client and are unsuccessful in moving to the next stage.
With over 15 years of recruitment experience, Protea Recruitment constantly strives to be the best in the market, offering a flexible, pragmatic and honest approach to recruitment.
Specialising in the Food, Drinks, FMCG & Consumer Goods sector, Protea offers the full recruitment service from Head Hunting & Retained to Search, including Permanent, Interim & Contract solutions throughout the UK and further afield.
Partnering with both the client and candidate, we focus our search on talent, experience, ability, team fit, and culture
Our specialist areas include:
- Technical & Quality
- Health and Safety
- NPD and Development Chefs
- Product Design
- Project Management
- Supply Chain
- Warehouse / Distribution
- Logistics & Transport
- Marketing Jobs
- Production & Operation
- Sales & Marketing
- General Manager
- Director/ Board Level/ CEO/ Managing Director
Apply for Engineering Manager
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert