Zertus UK & Ireland is made up of Humdinger, Kinnerton Confectionery, Lir Chocolates and Sun Valley. We manufacture a range of products within the snacking and chocolate categories and our goal is to create innovative and distinctive products that delight our customers.
We’re seeking a Packaging Technologist to join the Humdinger team based at our manufacturing site and innovation centre Heckington, Sleaford.
This role is based within the Humdinger NPD team, at the centre of product innovation and development. You will review pack formats and specifications and identify opportunities for alignment across the business to drive cost reductions within packaging. We are passionate about innovation and the Packaging Technologist would have time to really focus on this, brining new ideas to the business, such as projects around recyclable materials, whilst also focusing on day to day tasks such as artwork approvals, pallet plans, providing all necessary data and inputting to Recipe Professor system and more.
We’re seeking an experienced Packaging Technologist who has the overall aim of delivering world-class, innovative packaging solutions for our customers. You will be a driven problem-solver, with a continuous improvement mentality, and an operational excellence ethic, with the courage to challenge and drive change. You will be supported by an already-established team and database
The role is full time, working Monday – Friday, 08:30 -16:30 (37.5 hours per week). Travel to the Hull site will be required on an ad/hoc basis for trials/launches.
Day to day responsibilities of a Packaging Technologist at Humdinger might include:
- Scope, develop and deliver packaging solutions for new product developments. Identify and develop new packaging formats, materials, and technologies to deliver competitive advantage and meet consumer needs.
- To ensure packaging developments are fit for purpose, commercially acceptable, meeting legislation, customer, consumer, supply chain and environmental needs within agreed timescales.
- To lead the drive for recyclable packaging solutions across the business.
- Provide advice and technical support to the business during the evolution of packaging design.
- Test all packaging components to ensure they are fit-for-purpose.
- Attend all production line trials, ensuring that all such assessments are conducted in a robust and repeatable manner.
- Develop thorough and component packing specifications for use by the business, ensuring that these are agreed by the relevant suppliers and produced in a timely manner.
- Deliver packaging solutions in response to continuity of supply, quality and legislative issues associated with the existing range of products.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive packaging database, covering all live and new primary and secondary packaging.
- Develop and manage the packaging cost reduction programme, demonstrating an active pipeline and achievements to date each month.
- Deliver packaging projects that maintain and optimise these attributes within agreed commercial constraints.
The ideal Packaging Technologist will have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in packaging/technical/design related discipline (or similar training/ equivalent experience)
- Substantial experience in a FMCG/Food business within Packaging – developing for major retailers private label and branded
- Should be a strong team player, with excellent technical, IT and communication skills.
- Highly developed technical and commercial awareness knowledge (materials, formats (Flexible and Rigid) and processes).
- Excellent competency level in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Highly developed problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- A tenacious attention to detail.
- Proven experience in packaging innovation and technology sourcing.
- Engineering knowledge, especially related to packaging machinery.
- Experience of major change projects, such as the introduction of new packaging formats and/or new production lines.
What can Zertus/Humdinger offer you?
- Company Pension (up to 10% employer contribution) and Life Assurance Scheme x4 basic
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts via our company shops
- Company Laptop & equipment
- Employee Assistance Program
- Team events
- Monthly employee awards Refer a friend bonus vouchers
- Continuous support with personal development and training opportunities
- Inclusive and supportive team
- Join a well-established NPD and Packaging function with support from the Zertus group to grow and develop