Packaging Buyer - West Sussex, PO21 3PX
Growing is in our nature. Over 40 years ago, we started life as a small family farm with a handful of people and a modest range of crops.
Today, we’re a global farming and food business working thousands of acres and employing thousands of people around the world to grow, process, pack and market a range of fresh produce.
Supplying our premium produce to some of the UK’s leading retailers and restaurants, we are very proud of what we do and how we do it. With our impressive green credentials, we truly are committed to sustainability, demonstrating continued investment in the latest technologies to help maintain our carbon neutral footprint.
A superb opportunity for an organised and proactive professional with experience in procurement, purchasing or buying in an FMCG environment, to join our busy Supply Chain Team
Reporting directly to the Packaging Manager, you will be predominantly responsible for inventory replenishment and the purchasing of packaging and consumables required by the business. Working as a pivotal member of the packaging team, the Packaging Buyer will also be accountable for delivering value across the packaging categories and assisting with NPD packaging origination. With first rate communication and negotiation skills you will also work to acquire, maintain and develop the supplier base identifying cost and quality improvements in line with continuous improvement.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Key Responsibilities and duties will include, but not be restricted to:
- Source and purchase of packaging products and consumables
- Build, maintain and develop effective relationships with both internal customers and external suppliers
- Contract negotiation and management
- Identify cost & quality improvements
- Effective replenishment of packaging material and control of stock
- Sector analysis to identify opportunities and to mitigate commercial and technical risks
- Engage in relevant product development and innovation
- Co-ordination and management of the introduction of new and replacement packaging
- Maintain consistency through collaborative working across the business
- Meet and exceed company KPI’s
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience of working within procurement, purchasing/buying in an FMCG environment
- Excellent negotiation and contract management skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Experience of stock replenishment and inventory management
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Numerically Proficient
- Conversant in the use of MS Office applications, email, MRP systems and the internet
- An understanding of packaging materials - desirable
- Financial understanding of budgets and P&L accounts - desirable
Why Work for Barfoots?
- Investors in People Silver Award
- Company pension scheme
- Discounted leisure membership
- Discounted vegetable box scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Approved centre for Highfield qualifications
- Free on-site parking
- Committed to sustainability