Technical Manager – Stourgarden, Colchester, CO6 4AP
Salary : up to £50,000 (depending on experience)
A fantastic opportunity with the potential to progress into the Senior Management team.
Stourgarden is situated alongside the beautiful Stour Valley on the Essex Suffolk border where the Rix family have been growing onions for three generations since 1968. Stourgarden Ltd was born in 1995 as a vehicle to store, grade and pack our onions to supply direct into retail customers. Tesco was our first ever customer when we started with volumes of 45ton a week.
At our site on Lodge Farm, Colchester, we have a purpose built, state of the art packhouse and High Care processing factory, with the most up to date technology and machinery in place. Today we handle well in excess of one million individual packs of onions every week. This amounts to over 75,000 tonnes of onions a year, all grown in Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Kent and are sold the length and breadth of the UK. All onions handled by Stourgarden are graded using most modern graders being capable of size grading into various grades and quality standards to allow us flexibility to meet the ever-changing consumer need.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an aspiring industry professional to join us as our Technical Manager to manage and drive the technical agenda across the business. Working with the product throughout our process, grading, whole head packing, peeling and onto slicing and dicing you will be managing all the technical and due diligence aspects.
Working with a number of high profile retail and manufacturing customers, the Technical Manager will be confident at communicating and working with teams at all levels in customer businesses. Good communication skills, an approachable way of working and a team player are key skills.
The Lead Technical Manager is a key role in the ‘Hands On’ management team and will manage a small technical team to guide the business to deliver the best technical standards for its customers. You will be working and communicating with colleagues at all levels in the business.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Driving technical best practice in all areas of the business.
- Ensuring food safety and compliance in all technical areas.
- Manage supplier approval and performance monitoring processes.
- Managing customer technical requirements.
- Identify opportunities for driving technical improvement.
- Manage the technical team.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Technical experience ideally in fresh produce, but not essential.
- Experience in managing Food Safety and Quality Management Systems.
- Experience of the BRC Food Safety Standard, retail customer standards and managing 3rd party audits.
- Able to develop and manage internal audit programmes.
- Microbiological understanding is desirable.
- Excellent organisation and communication skills at all levels and a team player.
- Good computer knowledge especially MS Office package.
- Happy to be hands on.
- HACCP Level 3 qualification.
- Internal auditor trained.
When submitting your CV application please can you also provide your current / last salary information.