Supply Technical & Development Manager - Bognor Regis (Sefter Farm)
Growing is in our nature. Over 40 years ago, we started life as a small family farm with a handful of people and a modest range of crops.
Today, we’re a global farming and food business working thousands of acres and employing thousands of people around the world to grow, process, pack and market a range of fresh produce.
Supplying our premium produce to some of the UK’s leading retailers and restaurants, we are very proud of what we do and how we do it. With our impressive green credentials, we truly are committed to sustainability, demonstrating continued investment in the latest technologies to help maintain our carbon neutral footprint.
An exceptional opportunity for an experienced food industry professional to firmly establish themselves as a pivotal member of our dynamic Technical Team. With first class organisational and communication skills, candidates will have a proven track record in a similar role or be looking for a step up opportunity. Candidates will be driven and confident, able to demonstrate strong commitment and work ethic.
Working with a number of premium retailers, the Supply Technical & Development Manager will drive the Group’s technical, agronomic and development strategy for all crops, interacting with all Barfoot Global hubs and supply partners to improve quality and economic return. Equally an element of this role will be to ensure all products procured by Barfoots are sourced from safe, accredited and ethically sound businesses. Working directly with the Barfoots Supply Chain team, you will formulate supplier strategies and improve the overall cost and quality of product supplied to Barfoots. The incumbent will also lead research and innovation across the supply base, working in partnership with Barfoot hubs, Universities and technology providers.
Reporting to the Technical Director, you will also disseminate technical best practice through grower workshops and agronomy meetings, strategically managing varietal development across all crops by working with all growers and seed houses. In this key, visible and critical business role, you will also represent Barfoots on customer agronomic panels and manage customer visits to our suppliers. Solid and effective communication skills will be supported by a desire to seek continuous improvement in all areas of jurisdiction.
Key Responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
- Driving best practice across the group and supply base
- Shaping technical, agronomic and development strategies for the group
- Leading and driving varietal trials, supplier development and research strategies
- Ensure legislative compliance in all technical areas
- Manage supplier approval and performance monitoring process, including audits as required
- Ensuring all raw material quality, availability, safety, ethical and legal standards are both met & exceeded
- Identify opportunities for cost reductions, increased quality & general supplier development
- Manage a global team based in the UK, Latin America and Africa.
- Lead Barfoots R&D programme, liaising with Universities and Research organisations around the world.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Excellent communication & organisational skills
- Experience in Agronomic management of Fresh produce crops
- Technical experience ideally in short shelf life products and food manufacturing
- Experience in Food Safety and Quality Systems
- Microbiological understanding
- Excellent communication skills
- Good computer knowledge especially MS Office package and an understanding of data analysis
- Strong people influencing skills
- Proven track record in delivering projects and project management
- BASIS qualified
- Food Safety Level 3 or higher
- Lead Auditor
- Technical Qualification (Degree / HNC level) in relevant subject
- UK retail accreditation trained
- Spoken Language, particularly Spanish and French
Why Work for Barfoots?
- Investors in People Silver Award
- Company pension scheme
- Discounted leisure membership
- Discounted vegetable box scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Approved centre for Highfield qualifications
- Free on-site parking
- Committed to sustainability