QA Manager / Production Manager - Mathon, Herefordshire
We are a family owned farming business, highly regarded for growing and packing quality speciality vegetables. Supplying most of the UK’s leading supermarkets and a strong wholesale market too, we are very proud of what we do.
In recent years we have expanded our onsite packhouse ensuring we maintain freshness and quality, allowing products to reach consumers in the best condition possible.
A fantastic opportunity to join our busy team, reporting to the Technical Manager / Directors.
This role is twofold with the main emphasis being on the role of Quality Manager with man management and support to the Packhouse / Production too.
You will lead, guide and maintain a culture of high technical standards, ensuring full compliance with industry and customer protocols.
Be a quality expert in the business, promoting best practice, supporting and providing guidance to the QC team and production, liaising closely with Production and the Farm Manager.
Responsible for a team of production line leaders ensuring that all operational activities are completed accurately, concisely and to the required standards of quality, legality and safety. A key part of the role is to coordinate the activities of the packhouse, maximizing efficiency and ensuring continuity of supply and timely order output.
This role requires the effective management of staff, including the organisation of people, allocation of correct raw materials, packaging (film, labels, boxes) and maintenance of production equipment. To work with Management, Line Leaders, QC’s and other team members to develop a team ethos and to deliver the aims of the business
- To be audit ready, maintaining the QMS some business policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with legal, customer and company requirements.
- To be part of the HACCP team.
- Where necessary to liaise with customers on quality issues, investigating complaints and rejections.
- Work closely with production to build a true quality ownership culture.
- Reacting and proactively planning for unseen quality concerns, daily liaison with farm manager to understand field conditions and appropriately manage stock.
- Support in coaching and leading the QC's and Team Leaders.
- Assist with the management of the hygiene team, ensuring all areas are cleaned appropriately and as per schedule
Required Skills & Experience
- A strong quality background, with previous experience of fresh produce and working with the major retailers
- Excellent understanding of BRC, Red Tractor Assured Produce, Leaf Marque and retailer standards such as Tesco Food Standard
- Internal and supplier auditing experience
- Demonstratable understanding of systems which control food safety, legality and quality, e.g. HACCP, GMP, Hygiene
- Exceptional understanding of quality control and relevant industry standards to meet our customers specifications and requirements.
- A hands-on, packhouse / production focused, QA professional with an enquiring nature
- A strong character with excellent communication skills who can engage with their team to drive performance levels
- Ability to support and motivate a team of QC’s and Team Leaders.
- Able to work as part of a team and independently – keen to take ownership and responsibility with the ability to work on own initiative and make decisions
- Full UK driving licence
- Educated to BSc (Hons) in a food science, horticulture or agricultural based discipline
- HACCP Level 3
- Lead Auditor qualified