Bakery Operative - Forest Gate
Welcome to Hovis. We are the proud guardians of over 130 years of baking experience that make up our iconic and much-loved brand. We produce bread and bakery products created with Hovis goodness at the heart of each. We deliver around 1.3million loaves, every day of the week throughout the UK and Ireland, where we also make Mothers Pride and Ormo products.
We are 2,800 people working within 8 bakeries, 1 flour mill, and 2 regional distribution centres across the UK. Our success is a result of the hard work of our people; they are experts in their field whether it’s baking, manufacturing, logistics, engineering, or the many departments within the central functions team based in our head office in High Wycombe. We are a values-led business and expect our colleagues to live, breathe, and embed Quality, Accountability, and Trust into their ways of working.
- To operate Bakery equipment and systems effectively and conduct first line maintenance activities to achieve performance against deployed metrics.
- Active personal responsibility for all relevant Hovis and Legislative Health & Safety requirements within the working environment
- Adhere to all operative / maintenance procedures, Risk assessments and method statements and other Health and Safety systems
- Operate effectively within a flexible and committed team with constant focus on customer requirements
- Use the Company IT systems to record quality and performance data, taking active ownership for the targets needing to be met.
- Check line performance trends and material usage taking corrective action where appropriate.
- Maintain clear and concise verbal and written communication both within production team, slicing team, maintenance technicians suppliers and customers
- Demonstrate initiative in seeking to continuously improve performance (both as an individual and as part of either the production or slicing teams)
- Committed participation in employee development review process and associated activities
- Adjust plant where appropriate to ensure agreed specifications are maintained
- Perform scheduled and reactive line maintenance to minimise production downtime
- Use knowledge and experience to anticipate problems where possible and to solve problems where they occur
- Proactive approach to all aspects of hygiene and cleaning activities within working area
Why work for us and our benefits:
At Hovis, we understand the importance of looking after our colleagues, so we provide a variety of benefits in addition to their salaries. The benefits we provide at Hovis are as varied as the people who receive them but they are offered with the intention of creating value to them personally over and above their salaries.
There is a range of colleague benefits available, which individuals can select based on their needs.
Our benefits scheme is called Hovis Choice, which offers a variety of savings and cashback offers on day to day living and much more including eyecare vouchers, and a healthcare scheme to suit everyone. It also includes our Cycle to Work scheme where you can obtain a brand new bike at a significant saving
We offer competitive annual leave entitlement and flexibility where possible in order to create a healthy work-life balance
We celebrate loyalty with our generous long service and colleague recognition schemes
We offer three levels of pensions
Hovis values diversity and is committed to promoting equal opportunities in the workplace. Every job applicant, employee or worker will be treated fairly and equally with dignity and respect regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, social class, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religious belief, union membership, political opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic.