Senior Technical Assistant
To develop the formulation of new products to enable accurate quotation to customers as required. To ensure production development trials are performed in accordance with company process and required standards, in conjunction with the operational process.
The role will jointly oversee a team who formulate and provide customer company specifications, maintain MHRA certification, assist with implementing GMP standards, support the preparation of audits, investigate non-conformances and implement corrective actions
The Senior Technical Assistant is responsible for supporting our Regulatory department in maintaining the safety, legality and quality of all products sold by the company to a consistently high standard in line with our internal and external regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all appropriate SOPs are understood and carried out in full as per the training matrix.
- Ensure the Technical team are checking all suppliers prior to purchase for supplier approval status appropriate to the purchase. Liaise with QA to ensure appropriate approvals for all new suppliers, new materials or materials purchased from alternative suppliers.
- Raise change controls for changes to specifications, process, suppliers or other matters in line with SOP. Review change controls as required.
- Liaise with QA Manager to ensure continual improvement.
- Make sure the system is kept fully up to date with new formulations to support quoting.
- Fully understand the excipients we use their function and levels required.
- Fully understand the active ingredients and how to calculate active levels of components
- Fully understand herbal actives and various way of using them and calculating active levels.
- Efficiently respond to customer enquiries and manage the team to maintain this and ensure no enquiry incurs an undue delay in response.
- Ensure a presentable and professional appearance is maintained when in face to face meetings by all members of the technical team.
- Attend meeting at supplies/customer’s premises as required.
- Attend trade shows as and when required.
- Develop relationships with suppliers that are able to help with product development
- Use initiative to develop new products into food supplement applications
- Assist in sourcing suppliers of new components.
- Develop formulas and ensure trials are arranged as required to ensure products will run consistently in production.
- To have a thorough understanding and keep the following up to date:
- Food regulations
- Food labelling regulations
- Food supplements regulation
- Contaminants in Food, allergens, heavy metals, GMO, irradiation
- Consumer protection legislation
- Novel Foods
Nutritional Enquiries and Support
- To provide support and advice to QA, Regulatory and the Company as a whole as and when required.
- To respond to technical and nutritional queries accurately and in a timely manner
- To have a sound knowledge of industry and nutritional legislation and to ensure its application.
- To check and approve nutritional claims, content and statements on labels in line with such legislation.
- To assist operations with technical problems in manufacture.
- Maintain your working area in a clean and professional condition.
- Maintain professional standards in both personal appearance and behaviour.
- Maintain strict company confidentiality at all times.
- Report immediately to the Company, any matter that you believe transgresses either Health & Safety, or other employment regulations.
- Report any damage to Company property, howsoever caused, to a member of Management as soon as possible.
- Follow all other rules and procedures with regard to attendance and absence reporting as detailed in the Company’s Absence Policy.
- Follow all rules and procedures with regard to Health & Safety and the wearing of applicable P.P.E.
- Follow all relevant rules and procedures with regard to the Company's Quality Management System to ensure the Company's compliance to EU GMP (Medicinal Products) and Food Law.
- You may be required at times to carry out various other duties within your capabilities.
- If requested to carry out any duty that you feel may be outside your capability you should report this.
This job description is not exhaustive and can be amended at the discretion of senior management. Should this happen the post holder will be informed of any such amendments
The following table details the qualifications or skills/experience required to fulfil the above job description. These are split up into Desirable or Essential Criteria. These criterions will be used to shortlist applicants during the recruitment process via a completed Application form or Curriculum Vitae (CV) and interview where relevant.
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- Experience in manufacturing, production or quality assurance/control
- Experience of managing people
- Analytical approach
- Ability to solve problems and provide innovative solutions
- Excellent attention to detail
- Accuracy and Diligence
- Excellent organisational skills
- Customer service focused
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent qualification in Science or Nutrition
- Institute for Optimum Nutrition accredited training