Skilled Baker – Cakes & Traybakes
Bramble Foods Group are a family run, fine food manufacturer and distributor specialising in the independent food retail and gift market, employing around 100 people.
We have two food production sites in Market Harborough. One site is a bakery offering a range of hand-crafted multi-portion loaf cakes, slab cakes and tray bakes, the second site produces high quality preserves, chutney’s, pickles and condiments. We manufacture a number of premium brands including Bramble Foods (www.bramblefoods.com), Market Town Bakery (www.markettownbakery.com) and The Pickled Village (www.thepickledvillage.co.uk).
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for a Skilled Baker to join our team of experienced craft bakers.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will play a critical role in supporting and initiating continuous improvements whilst delivering the day to day operation. You will be working with the existing core product range, creating new and appealing seasonal products as well as developing new products from concept to creation and launch. This is an exciting time to join the business which will provide a great opportunity for the right individual.
A background in cakes and tray bakes is desired and previous experience in an environment on a similar scale would be most beneficial.
We believe in offering development opportunities for all employees and full training and support can be provided for candidates looking to take the next step in their career into a management position.
If you thrive in a busy environment and are able to communicate your enthusiasm and expertise this role is for you !
- Take full responsibility for the day to day running of the bakery, ensuring the health and safety of all colleagues and making improvements in all areas
- Coach, develop and lead staff and establish a continuous improvement culture
- Communicate and monitor the production plan, performance KPIs and targets, ensuring that all colleagues are striving to achieve the same goal
- Ensure that the site is legally compliant, all products are delivered to specification to ensure value, and colleagues are highly engaged with the right tools to do their job
- Control levels and accuracy of waste and waste recording
- Continuously identify ways to reduce costs and improve standards and efficiency in all areas
- Attend daily review meetings to ensure the bakery is fully on target to deliver
- Lead by example, demonstrating high standards of behaviour, honesty and integrity
- Develop and support your team through training, coaching and feedback
- Work effectively and efficiently with the rest of the senior team to ensure that the requirements of the SALSA/BRC standards are met and exceeded
- Ensure that all personnel-related issues are dealt with in line with company policy, legislative requirements and best practice
- Ensure that the methods and techniques used are sufficient to meet the specifications and standards set by the NPD and technical functions
- Manage the goods in, dispatch and production and packing teams to ensure stock is protected from damage and contamination, and is easily located and shipped
- Ensure stocks are accurate and where there are discrepancies, allocate resources to investigate to identify and remedy the root cause
- Manage the NPD process to ensure all trials run successfully through to product launch
The ideal candidate will be someone who has:
- Ideally minimum of 3 years’ experience in a production leadership role
- A proven track record of achievement in a leadership role
- Bakery experience, ideally in cakes and traybakes
- Experience of NPD, ideally in cakes and traybakes
- Experience of working cross-functionally between operational, technical and commercial teams
- Experience of managing and leading projects
- Experience of successful implementation of quality standards
Rewards and benefits:
- Free on-site parking available
- Site easily accessible by bus and train (train station 1 mile away)
- Bike store
- Free tea and coffee
- Staff rest room and outside picnic area
- Friendly environment
- Staff purchase scheme
- 4-weekly pay
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Option to purchase up to 3 additional days holiday
- Employer pension contributions