Group Engineering Director
The Engineering Director has accountability for the Group’s engineering function and will utilise all resources available to provide a safe, efficient engineering service to maximise equipment availability, fabric standards and company capital whilst maintaining best possible standards in terms of Safety, Hygiene, Quality, Food Safety, Legality, Quantity and Cost.
Young’s Seafood Limited is the UK’s leading fish and seafood business, inspiring consumers to love fish through our fresh, frozen, own-label and branded products. Proudly making delicious fish dishes for over 200 years, we’re home to the Young’s brand - famous today for making family favourites such as Chip Shop and the UK’s number 1 premium seafood brand, Gastro.
We’re a leading supplier of seafood to the hospitality industry offering an extensive portfolio of products through our Young’s Foodservice and Kingfrost brands. Proudly British, Young’s International offers our exceptional quality frozen fish and stand out innovation to countries around the world.
- To work with the Operations Director and commercial directors to agree group engineering priorities and establish an engineering strategy for the Group
- To develop and lead capital investment plans based on site and asset capability, capacity and commercial strategy.
- To continuously develop and improve the group asset base through effective design, construction and installation of good manufacturing processes.
- To establish proactive maintenance systems to maximise efficiency, asset utilisation and up keep of capital assets.
- To establish partnerships with 3rd parties capable of complimenting company capabilities and adding value to the engineering agenda
- To establish coherent governance to maintain control and transparency over all engineering costs including parts, rental equipment, and labour to ensure best value.
- To drive the engineering function to promote and provide ‘best in class’ manufacturing processes that comply with both Food Safety and Health & Safety Standards.
- To contribute to the the Company’s CI/MANEX agenda to identify and progress improvements capable of improving group efficiency.
- To ensure that the appropriate engineering team structure is in place, resourced by the right number of quality people, to deliver plans with maximum efficiency.
- The coaching, mentoring and training of the broader engineering function.
- To ensure compliance with all Company Policies and Procedures and Food Safety legislation and guidelines
- Lead and manage capital projects from design to machinery selection, installation and commissioning to improve overall effectiveness of plant and equipment.
- Ensure utilities including water, gas. electricity, steam and effluent are closely monitored and managed to provide the most cost-effective usage without undermining production.
- The creation and maintenance of a working environment where team members feel able to challenge the status quo, embrace change consistent with the company values and are encouraged to make decisions in driving continuous improvement.
Skills and Experience Required
- Be of graduate calibre and able to evidence developed critical thinking capabilities
- 5-7 years experience of engineering management
- Evidence of managing significant engineering projects/teams within a complex multi-site environment
- Experience of LEAN / 6 sigma or other CI methodologies.
- Appropriate training/certification in H&S and Food Hygiene.
- Chartered Engineer accreditation [CEng / CMgr / IEng] is desirable but not essential
- A commitment to transparency and integrity
- Evidential competence in Performance Management, Planning & prioritising, flexibility and change management, problem solving and decision making, leadership, communicating with impact, strategic thinking, customer awareness and commercial acumen
- Develop and delivering a clear strategy.