Commercial Science within Diageo Innovation R&D
Diageo Innovation R&D, a team within Innovation Marketing is a critical driver of growth for Diageo. Our Global R&D Team is located across three sites, in Connecticut (USA), Singapore and at the Woodside facility in Bishop’s Stortford, UK. We have a blend of Scientists, Process Engineers, Packaging Engineers and Sensory Scientists all of whom are supported with bespoke Laboratory Facilities. Woodside is also home to the Innovation Pilot Plant for crafting early concept products and scaling new-to-world technology.
The Commercial Science Team exists to drive commercial value and competitive advantage for Diageo through savvy use of science to unlock opportunities and solve intractable problems. We look to the future shape of Diageo, what it will need to maintain its position as the market leader and what technologies need to be integrated within Diageo to create consumer desirable products. We attract the best technical partners from academia, consultancies and companies to drive our research to generate commercial advantage. We aim to be recognized internally and externally for the quality of our science and the value that we generate.
An amazing opportunity has opened within the Commercial Science Team, specifically within our Innovation Pilot Plant for a Process Scientist to leverage their knowledge, creativity, curiosity and desire to craft amazing products. You will drive commercially advantageous process improvements and product speed to market within early stage product commercialization. You will learn how Diageo currently drives success, then leverage this experience to unlock and drive new research opportunities to keep Diageo Innovation at the cutting edge of new technology and sustainable processing advances. You will help shape the future of Diageo through the execution of your work.
This role delivers technical output that carries financial impact (NSV/ CAAP targets of 3m and 2m GBP per annum) and that delivers on the innovation business KPIs/needs. The individual is expected to manage projects, initiatives and work streams with some guidance from line manager and more senior specialists. Leveraging commercial and consumer insight, the individual will act as the functional lead on cross functional project teams. They will be responsible for recommending, developing and implementing new product/ technical solutions for application in market. This role will involve broadening experience via project work in different disciplines, research programs and/or beverage categories.
Qualifications and Capabilities Required
Education - Masters degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Engineering, Food Science, or related discipline required. Additional certifications including PhD preferred.
Experience - Requires 3+ years of relevant project and/or research experience (food or beverage) which can include doctoral or post-doctoral research. May include experience leading project teams.
Organizational Impact and Influence
Once direction is clear, can effectively manage self and prioritize objectives to consistently achieve objectives and business results. Independently designs and executes experiments to accomplish research/ project objectives within budget. Applies knowledge of industry trends and internal/ external developments to improve individual and group performance. Develops strong relationships within and across functions. Identifies broader opportunities for their work and cultivates a search and spin atmosphere. Understands and adheres to the appropriate legal and regulatory requirements of the region, and seeks opportunities within regulations. Supports the implementation of strategy and new processes in the organization. Seeks out and demonstrates accountability for the use of beneficial new technologies, methods and/ or products. Has sufficient understanding and use of marketing data to assess different technical solutions based on their suitability to the insight and concept
Decision Making / Problem Solving
Shows commitment in dealing with complex time consuming issues; successfully identifies, analyzes and solves problems with some guidance. Anticipates key technical/ commercial issues and integrates data and knowledge to recommend timely, optimal business solutions. Raises issues with appropriate context and views obstacles as solvable challenges. Presents calculated risk mitigation plans to deliver exceptional results. Incorporates new thinking to deliver smart, novel technical solutions. Consistently demonstrates excellent follow-through on project commitments.
Cultivates a culture of openness and information sharing. Feeds timely information to keep sr. management well informed; caters message to audience with some guidance. Can interpret and simplify complex technical issues into key messages and recommendations. Understands when to manage technical/ business challenges independently and when to engage line manager/ L4 technical mentor. Engages with peers and stakeholders in a way that inspires trust and confidence.
Demonstrates sound independent judgment, even in times of tight deadlines and budget constraints. Reaches conclusive decisions after fully researching alternatives. Responds quickly and effectively to changes in project needs and priorities. Prioritizes the delivery of the business/ project goals above personal technical achievements - will comfortably seek out peer/ management support when needed to achieve results. Visibly and clearly applies both analysis and intuition equally into work. Participates effectively in ideation sessions and understands how to unlock and apply own creativity
Discipline Specific Capabilities
Deep knowledge in one relevant technical discipline is required. The role requires the ability to leverage knowledge in other technical disciplines. The individual must demonstrate deep accountability for the end-to-end project execution.
- Understands Diageo Innovation process needs and ensures projects are delivered with a right first-time mentality.
- Understands liquid commercial requirements and communicates effectively with Diageo Global Supply.
- Combines technical expertise with growing business knowledge to identify areas of high technical potential for Diageo
- Skillfully uses literature, external experts and lab work to effectively and efficiently complete project assignments. Develops and maintains a strong relationship with internal and external suppliers.
- Seeks out new equipment capabilities to help deliver liquid/processing solutions. Actively finds, challenges and advises on commercial solutions to ensure project delivery.
- Employs scientific mastery to solve complex, business-related problem. Ability to interpret and leverage analytical chemistry and microbiology results.
- Reports research results to Technical and Innovation management, with clear communication of technical achievements and business impact
- Is knowledgeable of the internal Governance and GMP procedures to ensure due diligence is in place. Demonstrates a level of H&S responsibility for their working environment.
Opportunities for Growth
- Expand skill through experience in various categories/ platforms/ initiatives
- Broaden skill and network through cross-functional assignments and/or stretching business deliverables
- Expand influence within Diageo through business-driven exposure to senior management
- Develop enhanced ability to identify new technical opportunities and technical reasons to believe for concept development