Production Front Line Manager
Hovis is one the UK’s leading food brands. In fact, it’s worth over £400m in retail sales. In a very competitive crowd, we’ve continued to demonstrate category leading product innovation & quality. Our brand heritage and most recent performance is testament to this. Unsurprisingly, we have bold ambitions for our business & brand . We’re now searching for a proactive and committed Production FLM ready to play a key role in the next chapter of our journey. Please see below for more detail.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen in our Production Department in Hovis Avonmouth to join the team in the role of Production Front Line Manager (FLM).
- To lead and develop all shift based production activities while driving improvements within agreed safety, cost, quality and timescale criteria, in order to optimize the use of all assets. To ensure that shift teams have the skills and competency to deliver customer demands.
- Ensure shift team’s compliance with all relevant Hovis Ltd and Legislative Health & Safety requirements within the working environment.
- Fully owns Risk assessments and overall quality of the shift output.
- Take the lead, as required, when responding to a major incident on Site, ensuring the situation is under control, relevant parties informed and appropriate escalation procedures followed, closing the incident as appropriate.
- Take the lead role in incident investigations and follow up actions and root cause analysis.
- Give a Customer focused delivery of compliance to manufacturing standards both internal and external (BRC / Customer standards / Codes of Practice).
- Ensure a commitment to capital projects and continuous improvement to make year on year improvements versus plans and targets.
- Be responsible for recording, collating and reporting accurate specific Plant metrics while continually looking for ways to drive down costs and make production more efficient.
- Liaise with the Site Engineering Teams to ensure that maintenance is delivered as quickly as possible, whilst looking for more proactive ways of coordinating planned maintenance to aid production in the medium term.
Service & Quality
- Lead product quality delivery for the production team.
- Ensure the delivery of the KPIs to achieve the business plan (financial, quality, waste and customer service).
- Be responsible for ensuring operations are meeting expected service levels, schedule adherence and continuous improvement and performance targets.
- Be accountable for Plant hygiene.
Innovation & Investment
- Develop local innovation in relation to site opportunity & continuous improvement.
- Support the development and Delivery of the site Capital plan to cost, on time in full.
- Continually demonstrates visible leadership for the team and contribute to the development and implementation of the site supply strategy and plans.
- Focuses on delivering quality product to the customer when required, in the required timescale and volume.
- Lead the shift based operatives ensuring that the team is performing against plan, while coaching them to develop and enhance the culture of continuous improvement.
- Work effectively and efficiently with the other Managers to ensure a culture of continuous improvement becomes commonplace.
- Establish training and development plans for the shift, proactively following up on the plan, liaising with key contacts to ensure that the shift team is trained to the appropriate level to be fully flexible, within budget.
- Actively manage sickness in line with the Company’s Attendance Management Policy and Procedure, ensuring individuals have RTW interviews and appropriate follow up actions are taken.
- Effectively manage and document the weekly staffing requirement with respect to managing shifts, banked hours, holiday, overtime and sickness cover, ensuring no adverse impact on production through lack of competent staff at the right budget.
- Drive employee engagement through a variety of channels which as a minimum should include, regular two way interaction, effective communication of daily / weekly plans as well as other Company announcements. Ensure all your reports have at least annual formal performance review.
- Carry out investigations, grievance and disciplinary hearings and co-ordinate their follow up actions, with support from Site HR
- Take ownership of own development plan, ensuring agreed activities are carried out in an appropriate timescale.
- Site Director
- Manufacturing Manager
- Engineering Manager
- Operations Support Manager
- Technical Manager
- Other SLT and FLM’s
- Trade Unions Representatives
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is commercially and financially aware.
- Never gives up, is relentless and takes a proactive approach to reducing waste and other business costs.
- Has a good knowledge of own numbers and always has a plan to meet or exceed targets without being asked.
- Has the ability and agility to make the right decisions with speed under pressure.
- Uses thinking skills to analyse, decide, prioritise and plan. Can balance short-term requirements with long-term objectives to achieve manufacturing goals.
- Can effect change positively.
- Drives continuous improvement, visual management, 5S work place organisation, value stream mapping, process mapping, route cause analysis, waste hierarchy and reduction, line balancing and line speed analysis, short interval controls.
Communication and Influencing Skills
- Is able to influence people at all levels, internal and external through listening and adjusting communication style to meet the needs of the audience.
- Works with Associates to do what is best for Company ahead of own department or personal goals.
- Can communicate well and influence the audience, is literate, and has excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Always seeking to improve quality and service for our internal / external stakeholders.
- Is results orientated, process control driven, applies daily controls, SIC, DDS, and works to required standard.
- Shows a high degree of people skills, always demonstrating respect towards others, and acting with honesty & integrity.
- Works with colleagues to do what is best for the Company as a whole.
- Is effective at team working and building a knowledge transfer ethos.
- A passionate leader with the determination and tenacity to succeed and create a great place to work. Puts the team first.
- Owns results of self and team.
- Inspires others to follow through involvement, coaching, setting direction and performance standards.
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- Relevant industry experience
- Leadership and people management skills – experience of managing teams in an FMCG manufacturing environment
- IT literate
- Good verbal and numerate skills
- Level 3 food hygiene qualification
- Experience of working effectively in a Trade Union environment.
- People management experience
- Plant baking qualifications
- IOSH Managing Safety
- Lean / six sigma experience
- Demonstrable experience within manufacturing environment preferably baking.
- Knowledge of basic baking techniques
- Experience of working in a bakery