The R&D function plays a key part in developing and delivering new product launches by filling the pipeline of new products for central marketing projects, and deliver customised projects for key customers either internally or via co-manufacturers. This position works specifically on frozen product R&D. The team is split into Dry, Wet and Frozen projects as the site manufactures all three types of products. The developer will be allocated frozen projects and will be the lead developer from concept to launch, delivering the project on-time, attending customer meetings when required, adhering to customer requirements and delivering the margin requirement as briefed.
Fundamentals of the position
- Develops and launches new products as detailed on product briefs ensuring ingredients and calorie requirements conform to customer brand standards, brand standard and regulatory compliance for the appropriate countries.
- Completes detailed costings in PLM to ensure products achieve the quality and margin aspirations as detailed on the product brief
- Handles all paperwork including new product set-up documentation, new ingredient approval, recipe and costing set-ups in the PLM module of SAP.
- In conjunction with Procurement, sources new ingredients as required for a new brief, using approved supplier in the 1st instance.
- Briefs suppliers with requirements e.g. reduced sugar, palm free, and adheres to requirements (Vegetarian, HALAL suitable, Nut free etc).
- Gains internal product approval at site from Ops, Quality and Regulatory.
- Requests cost, MOQ and lead time for new ingredient.
- Achieves new supplier approval (if required) from group procurement, quality and finance.
- Occasionally attends UK customer visits with commercial to present samples, gain feedback, answer technical, quality or processing questions.
- Will contact customer independently when seeking to ask or answer questions relating to quality or technical concerns relating to the project.
- Coordinates factory trial or 1st validation / production, Initiating validation paperwork, travel tests, and post-trial meeting / tastings.
- Prepares customer samples as detailed on the brief, ensuring costings and draft specs are available and delivered to the customer on-time.
- Executes projects with some guidance from the R&D manager and assistance from project manager to manage timeline.
- Occasionally leads and manages Kick-off or Go-live project calls with all functions including colleagues from other European sites or sales offices.
- Ensures all new products are legal and safe, shelf life tested, travel tested, and meets all brand standards required by the customer, internally or requirements of government bodies. E.g. sodium, saturated fat, calorie reduction.
- Provides constant support to key contacts including the R&D manager, project manager, R&D team colleagues, internal contacts
- Engages in research of new ingredients or processes that might give competitive advantage or simplified processes or problem solving.
- To keep abreast of current market trends in the bakery and associated categories, giving stimulation to the sales and marketing teams and customers as required.
We are looking for someone that can do the whole product journey, including being comfortable occasionally visiting customers, with the sales team.
- Minimum 3 years food manufacturing experience ideally with a sweet or savoury bakery background.
- Experience in a customer facing role.
- Recipe formulation and bakery science knowledge / experience
- Some knowledge of raising agents, emulsifiers.
- Ideally some knowledge of PLM (Module within SAP).
- Experience in costing products.
- Process technology or food science experience.
- Degree or BTEC in Food Science/Food Technology or similar.
This job comes with an attractive package and is working for a top notch employer.
Indicative Salary Range: £31000 - 35000
KPI Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
All candidates registering with KPI Recruitment Ltd. will need to provide proof of identity, and evidence of any experience, training and qualifications our client considers necessary for their position.
Apply for Product Developer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly