Technical Services Manager
Young’s Seafood Limited is home of the Young’s branded range and is the leading UK fish and seafood processor providing frozen and chilled, branded and retailer branded fish. With a team of over 3,000 people across 11 sites in the UK, including Pinney’s of Scotland based in Annan and Macrae Foods based in Livingston and Fraserburgh, we work in long-term partnership with our customers to provide responsibly sourced fish to the consumer.
Young’s has over 200 years’ experience in the Seafood market and uses more than 30 species which are sourced from 5 continents. Our team takes products from conception through to production and prepares over 300 million seafood dishes for the UK consumer every year inspiring people to eat fish twice a week.
To take accountability for all aspects of technical administration and servicing the site operations team in terms of all technical aspects, including but not limited to KPI’s, Management information, service level agreements with customers for information (internal and external), and international administration. To act as the key link between internal Managers of the Docks Cluster providing Technical expertise to deliver the departments agreed food, customer and site safety priorities, strategies and projects. To represent Technical as a value adding, ‘role model’ function inside and outside of the site.
- Responsible for the management of the site Quality Systems, ensuring procedures and policies are reviewed and updated in line with company, customer and accreditation requirements.
- To exercise diligence and independent judgement to promote transparent, values-led and professional management of the department.
- Manage the site quality systems to ensure a regular review is carried out to maintain compliance with company, customer and external accreditation requirements.
- Ensure all raw materials are purchased against approved specifications. This includes liaising with suppliers to gather the required information.
- Liaise with the site NPD function to ensure the information on the site’s creation database is correct and up to date.
- Manage the site technical KPI systems on site to ensure daily, weekly and monthly reports are completed and trends are identified to drive improvements.
- Support the completion of all HACCP, VACCP, TACCP activities and documentation.
- Lead, conduct and co-ordinate site based internal audits.
- Co-ornate all product testing- microbilogical, chemical and nutritional, compile all date and identify trends.
- Manage all customer complaints through Technical administrators and operational factory teams.
- Co-ordination and management of all Technical factory-based system input and administration e.g. , QAD, Harford, Innova.
- Co-ordinate all export documentation in conjunction with Technical Cluster Manager.
- To act as a professional and trusted advisor to the Technical Cluster Manager, Technical Cluster Lead and site Management team on all Technical administration matters relating to The Docks cluster.
- To utilise organisational and local MI to identify and prioritise cluster Technical agendas to achieve organisational technical goals.
- Ensure MI is consistent, honest, open, routinely reviewed.
- Develop a trusted relationship with customers throughout the full life cycle of systems being introduced to their environment.
- You will work with experienced Technical Managers to identify key areas of risk for early remedial actions; as well as provide recommendations for improvements.
- Work closely with Site Quality Manager to ensure all technical activities are being managed.
- People Management & Development
- To own the Technical Services cluster manpower plan to ensure the delivery of required numbers in line with legislative and customer COP requirements.
- To liaise with HR & L&D Departments to ensure a robust talent, training and development process is embedded for the Technical Services team on site.
- Ensure engagement of people on site and to embed a positive food safety and HSE culture.
- To work with HR & L&D Depts to ensure the effective on-boarding of new site personnel.
- Manage the PDR process to establish a culture of personal development and personal responsibility to encourage colleagues to achieve their full potential.
- To support company recognition strategies to promote personal contribution.
- To drive the site to produce best possible outcomes for audits and maintain outstanding audit standards year on year.
- To ensure the food safety, legality and quality of finished goods administration is complied with and consider Technical solutions for these and to continually challenge and improve systems, and processes.
- The provision of advice and guidance on Technical administration issues to the site leadership team to promote good practice and compliance.
- Act as a champion for site safety and ensure teams are responsible individuals.
Skills and Experience Required
- Graduate calibre
- Previous experience within a similar Technical / QA Management role in a chilled food manufacturing environment
- Working experience of HACCP, BRC & retailers code of practice
- Food Science degree would be desirable.
- Level 4 Food Hygiene (or equivalent) desirable
- Advanced HACCP (or equivalent) desirable
- 2+ years of Technical leadership experience; with exposure to FMCG environments, M&S audit standards and being ‘audit ready’.
- Experience of working in Chilled and frozen environments working with coated products and white fish processing products.
- Evident confidence in presentation, communication and negotiating with professional peer groups.
- Efficient in delivering objectives and key measures.
- Ability to lead paper-trail and traceability segments of audits and ensure delegated administrators are able to lead also.
- Ability to work with peers in a matrix structure to draw in external skills to achieve local goals
- Track record of delivery
- Ability to manage priorities and projects across a multi-site and multi-function organisation
- A personal commitment to role model behaviours and to leadership and management through example
- A working understanding of Microsoft Office Competencies
- Self confidence
- Influencing and communication skills
- Adherence to protocol
- Continuous improvement
- • Developing others
- • Integrity