REED Scientific have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Laboratory Technicianwith a microbiology background, who is keen to work part-time. We are looking for a part time (21-25 hours/week) Production & Laboratory Technician. The job entails working in the laboratory & production suite, ensuring the smooth functionality of the facilities and scientific equipment, to prepare materials and carry out production tasks in accordance with specific instructions.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Laboratory & Production Duties
* Preparation of laboratory microbiological media and reagents in accordance with documented instructions.
* Use of autoclaves, media preparators and ovens as required.
* Microbiological monitoring of laboratory environment and purified water production
* Stock maintenance of laboratory & production consumables, chemicals and microbiological media.
* Entering of relevant laboratory & production quality control data and information in records.
* Assist and Support the Laboratory Manager with the completion of appropriate COSHH and/or risk assessments.
* Calibration of laboratory and production equipment.
* Technical preparation of test kits in accordance with documented instructions.
* Status labelling, moving and storing of materials throughout the production process including loading and emptying of trolleys and autoclaves.
* Pre-production component and raw material preparation.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
* Other duties as required and assigned by the relevant Line Manager.
* Quality Assurance inspection of in process and final product to specified standards.
* Washing Laboratory & Production glassware, apparatus & equipment.
* Dispensing of sterile and non-sterile media from preparators using dispensing equipment in the clean room facility.
* Packing products ready for sale.
* Degree/HNC (or equivalent) in Biological Science or related subject area.
* Experience of laboratory work, preferably biosciences / microbiological.
* Aseptic techniques.
* Ability to record results/data accurately and with attention to detail.
* Laboratory skills including use of volumetric & weighing equipment.
* Good numeracy skills.
* Basic computer literacy including MS Word and Excel.
* Good communication and interpersonal skills.
* Manual dexterity.
* Manual handling.
* Able to work standing at the laboratory bench.
* Able to conduct visual QC tests for small imperfections.