Product Development Manager
Job Title: Product Development Manager
Location: Brandon, Suffolk
Hours: Monday to Thursday 8am – 5pm (30 mins lunch) and Friday 8am – 2:30pm (30 mins lunch)
Annual Leave: 20 days + bank holidays + your birthday!
Start Date: ASAP
We are working for a leading FMCG company based in Brandon to help source them a Product Development Manager, to successfully manage and develop the brand portfolio and deliver increased profitability through sales, margin and contribution growth. This is a newly developed team within the business and an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking for a succession plan and a place to progress.
Key Working Relationships:
- Suppliers, Quality Control, Technical, Planning, Process & Engineering, Customer Service, Logistics, Finance and Customers.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the product market and competitors’ portfolios to enable accurate market evaluation and to identify opportunities that will deliver on margin, contribution and competitive edge
- Conduct sales analysis and market research to ensure they fulfill customer needs, exploit opportunities and can support the expansion or rationalization of their own product portfolio
- Undertake thorough research and benchmarking activities to ensure that the product cost and sale price is competitive and can challenge the market in terms of specification, packaging and pricing
- Take responsibility for sourcing new componentry from approved suppliers and negotiating and agreeing competitive supply terms and prices
- Establish and maintain positive and mutually beneficial working relationships with suppliers that will deliver profitable growth and greater efficiencies in line with business objectives and strategy
- Maintain awareness of supplier capabilities
- Proactively source new suppliers that will enable them to remain competitive whilst delivering high quality products
- Present new ranges and concepts to customers in line with the annual development plan.
- Liaise directly with customers throughout the launch schedule ensuring they are kept fully updated
- Ensure that all new products are fully costed and meet any given commercial criteria prior to launch.
- Review products once launched and ensure that any costings are re-visited as necessary; putting in plans to cost engineer if required
- Maintain open, effective and collaborative communication channels with all key stakeholder departments using the most appropriate medium with which is disseminate and obtain information
- Monitor and manage the critical control path for the launch of new products ensuring products launch on time and on budget
- Undertake additional ad hoc projects/responsibilities as required
- Support other members or the product development team when needed
The ideal person for this role will be someone that has managed an NPD process previously from the creative stage, through critical path to launch, ideally with a qualification within Food Science or relevant subject. You will be used to working in a fast paced environment, have the ability to communicate at all levels with staff, suppliers and customers and be strategic in the way you work. Previous FMCG experience is essential.