Job Title: Development Technologist
Reporting to: Head of Development/Process Technologist
Big Bear Confectionery are Confectionery manufacturers, having 4 sites in the UK and 2 in the Czech Republic and produce a wide range of well known branded products such as, Paynes Poppets, Just Brazils, Glacier Mints, Glacier Fruits and XXX Mints, along with a wide range of Retail Private label products.
Our customer base is broad and covers most of the well known multiple retailers as well as wholesale and discount channels.
Big Bear is also part of the Valeo Foods Group, one of the fastest growing consumer foods producers, with a portfolio of category leading brands, many of them iconic household names. Valeo Foods have manufacturing sites across Ireland, the UK and Continental Europe, and also have an impressive portfolio of well known brands, including Rowse Honey, Jacobs, Batchelors and Balconi to name but a few.
We have an opportunity in a newly created role for a Development Technologist at the Blackburn site. The details of the role are as follows:
- NPD Concept to Launch
- Complete & log all NPD documentation within the guidelines of the NPD Stage & Gate procedure
- Attend all relevant NPD meetings and contribute about current Live projects
- To complete all relevant trials & productions for all live projects and fully report on all aspects, making recommendations where necessary
- Recipe engineering and quality improvement of existing products
- Actively seek out and develop product improvements
- Work along side purchasing to improve current ingredients, test & trial new ingredients from new suppliers
- Co-ordinate the introduction of new raw materials into the business
- Attend pre-production meetings (cross-functional product sign off)
- Co-ordinate with all relevant functions to complete specific tasks to get products to market on time.
- Support the sales team with technical background of product
- Research into new trends, ingredients, packaging, processes
- Attend customer presentations and taste panels were necessary and provide accurate up to date information
- Develop new blue-sky idea’s for both Branded & OL customers
- Cover for specifications technologist when necessary
- Artwork sign off when required
- Some experience within NPD in a food manufacturing environment.
- Ideally a food science/technology degree or related equivalent
- Basic technical knowledge of core raw materials & their functionality
- Understanding of key retailer/customer technical policies & standards
- Demonstrate an understanding of food manufacturing principles
- Be part of a customer facing role, maintaining excellent customer relationships across portfolio
- Accuracy and attention to detail, with good personal organisational skills
- Legal labels
The role offers competitive holidays, Pension Scheme, Death in Service benefit, on site parking, near to amenities and within easy access of the motorway.
Apply enclosing an up to date CV and with salary expectations.