Fresh Produce Food Scientist - Agronomist
4 days left
- Contract Type
- Full Time
FOOD SCIENTIST – FRESH PRODUCE SPECIALIST - with AGRONOMIC BACKGROUND (based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
The world’s largest sandwich chain is growing fast and needs the help of dynamic, dedicated people. Do you have what it takes? Be a part of the Subway® Group – the world’s largest quick service restaurant franchisor and recognized leader in the Quick Service Industry. With more than 44,400 restaurants in over 113 countries we continue to add talent to our team at our Amsterdam Office.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Food Scientist – Fresh Produce Specialist with Agronomic Background to join the Subway® Group, and assume the primary responsibility of ensuring that all produce served to Subway® guests is safe, and meets the corporate brand standards for quality.
The Fresh Produce Specialist will conduct safety and quality assessment of farms, growing practices, harvest, distribution and restaurant operations to determine safety and quality opportunities.
He / She will collaboratively resolve issues identified during these assessments.
Furthermore, the Food Scientist – Fresh Produce Specialist is an excellent communicator and will influence franchisees to participate in the Approved Suppliers Program.
Progress and challenges will be clearly communicated by him/her to all Subway® stakeholders (suppliers, purchasing, R&D, Legal, business leaders/management) to drive continual improvement and brand protection.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Visits growers to assess farm compliance with Good Agricultural Practices, Good Handling Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices
- Reviews farm-to-restaurant postharvest handling practices to identify gaps and solutions to ensure product safety and quality is maintained
- Evaluates distribution to ensure cold chain and handling practices are adequate
- Evaluates produce storage and handling at the restaurant level to ensure produce quality and produce safety is maintained
- Makes recommendations to growers, distributors, purchasing, and store operations based scientific principles to minimize risk
- Works with growers to improve agricultural practices / share best practices
- Oversees disqualification of non-compliant vendors
- Oversees technical approval of new vendors
- Familiarity with food microbiology, food-borne illnesses, pathogens, and preventive practices, is necessary
- Uses excellent communication to effectively and clearly communicate with a diverse group
- Influences franchisees to participate in the Approved Suppliers Program
- Prepares and presents technical reports on risk assessments and solutions to mitigate risk
Knowledge and skills needed:
- 3 to 5 years of experience within related agronomic field (focused on Fresh Produce quality and safety)
- Advanced fresh produce quality and produce safety expertise
- Experience in produce growing, handling, post-harvest and/or produce quality management
- Experience in farm food safety (GAPs, HACCP, GMPs), risk assessments and risk mitigation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness, ability and desire to travel to farms and growing regions
- Experience working with global organizations - QSR or fast casual chain restaurants is a plus
- Professional fluency, verbal and written, in English. Additional European languages are a plus
- Familiar with European food regulations and agencies
- University (BA) degree accepted, MS preferred, in Agricultural/Agronomic or other related food safety related field
- Valid work/residence permit required (Netherlands/European Union)
* When applying for this position, please indicate your current remuneration package.
Apply for Fresh Produce Food Scientist - Agronomist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly