Quality Assurance Manager
JOB TITLE: Quality Assurance Manager
REPORTS TO: Technical Manager
TIME REQUIRED TO REACH EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE: 3 months
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To ensure that the product is consistent and meets both external and internal requirements. This includes legal compliance and customer expectations. Monitor and advise on the performance of the quality management system, produce data and report on performance, measuring against set standards. Liaise with other managers and staff throughout the business to ensure that the quality management system is functioning properly.
- Providing guidance and support to QA Team Leaders and the team
- Setting SMART objectives for the QATL
- Maintains quality assurance staff performance by coaching, counselling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Managing time, attendance, holiday, communication of the QA team
- Ensure QA team are actively challenging all process, procedures and CCP’s within the factory and ensure all team members are fully trained in tasks.
- Completes quality assurance operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Determining training needs for the QA/ QATL
- Consistently promoting high standards through personal example and roll out through the team, so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviour expected of them.
- Reviewing monthly KPI’s for a retail customer and ensure correct before they are sent to customer
- Completing and managing sign off of a retail customers visit actions
- Ensuring QA team are aware of any changes to the retail customer’s codes of practice and any subsequent updated procedures
- Managing customer technical site visits and attending pre-productions, ensuring all actions following visits are closed off within agreed timescales.
- May be asked to attend retail customer’s meetings, conferences
- Assessing customer and independent audit requirements and ensuring that these are met
- Manage and drive down customer complaints
- Investigating and setting standards for quality assessments
- Responsibility for all aspects of finished product quality across both sites
- Ensuring that products comply to finished product specifications, managing all out of specifications (concessions, non-conformances), challenging the specifications and perform root cause analyses when necessary.
- Prepare product and process quality reports by collecting, analysing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Establish in-process product inspection standards by studying manufacturing methods; testing methods and procedures.
- Establish product quality documentation system by writing/ updating and authorising quality assurance procedures.
- Managing Out of date stock and request write off and investigate consistent concession requests.
- Assisting QA with new product launches to ensure systems are set up prior to pre-production run
- Responsibility for Quality Taste Panels ensuring that Taste Panels are conducted, documented, trended and where non-conformance is identified that it is communicated to relevant departments and that timely corrective action is implemented to prevent reoccurrence.
- Responsible for implementing the Quality/Technical Manuals to ensure the QA team follow the correct procedures.
- Ensuring that manufacturing processes comply with our procedures
- Recording, analysing trends and identifying area of focus and distributing statistical information, i.e. KPI, micro, complaints etc.
- Ensuring the management of microbiological and chemical testing as per the schedule. Investigating any out of specification results and initiating effective corrective actions in the factory as appropriate.
- Establishes quality and reliability standards by studying product and consumer requirements with other members of management and with production operators, technicians, and engineers.
- Management of the setting up and maintenance of the Olympus Auto verification system, Metal Detectors, Check Weighers and Horizon Scanning.
- Where non-conformances are identified, responsibility to ensure that they are documented and communicated to relevant departments and that timely investigation and corrective action is implemented to prevent reoccurrence where appropriate.
- Working closely with Production Management ensuring that their requirements are met
- Drive change and improvement in performance/quality across the site
- Looking at ways to minimize waste and increase efficiency
- Management / leadership of quality projects / initiatives delegated by Technical Manager
- Any other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary to the needs of the business.
- May be required to cover the Technical System Manager during absence
- May be required to deputise for the Technical Manager in the absence.
- High care/high risk, food environment (>2 years)
- Previous experience in a QA Manager role (>1 year, preferably >3 years)
- Food Science or any food related degree (ideally, must have completed)
- Experience in a medium sized manufacturing environment (essential)
- Ability to work co-operatively and positively with other departments (essential)
- Managing a QA team (essential)
- Hands on, factory based role. Needs to be in the factory daily and throughout each day