Senior Regional Agronomist - Scotland
This is an opportunity to work with a market leading fresh produce marketing company in a home and field based autonomous agronomist capacity.
- To promote and facilitate agronomic best practice, planning and metrics in order that members may become the most technically competent, profitable and aware in the UK industry, and specifically to:
- Promote and facilitate the aims of the Advisory Service
- Manage Agronomic Services across the region and ensure professional integrity of the regional team and quality of delivered advice. Ensure that where defined by the Agronomy Manger standard operating procedures are implemented and maintained. Support Regional Agronomists in any areas where ‘trouble shooting’ is necessary
- Demonstrate knowledge and familiarity with all crops produced
- Provide an effective liaison between Technical, Sales Teams and Growers
- Undertake regular visits to members’ farms to a schedule agreed with each individual member prior to the commencement of each season. To discuss, plan and facilitate;
- Crop planning and strategy
- Performance and production benchmarking
- Crop production planning
- Crop husbandry recommendations to achieve ‘Best Practice’
- Supporting research programmes
- Assist with delivering training to ‘Trainee Agronomists’ and ‘Agronomists’ through a structured programme as defined by the Agronomy Manager
- Liaise with trials sites and Pest Monitoring teams to ensure information is generated and shared freely between all departments and that common aims are achieved
- Identify and assist with the adoption of new techniques, varieties and technologies through attendance of conferences and networking with technical personnel, researchers and partners (especially DEMEA agronomy and research teams)
- Production of ‘Best Management Practice’ documentation
- Contribute fortnightly technical notes for inclusion in a regular in house bulletin, covering the most relevant current cultural topics for crops, highlighting particular areas of attention in that relevant period
- To devise, plan organise and facilitate training events, meetings, farm walks and any other such events held to support and expand members (and their staff’s) knowledge and understanding
- Support and advise the introduction of beneficial new varieties. Assisting in selecting most suitable varieties for the site, soil and production systems, and to ensure that the best agronomic practices for each of the new varieties are being acted upon and implemented
- Attend and participate in Benchmarking programmes and demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of financial performance
- Provide information and crop production related material for circulation to members via the Extranet website.
- Participate in annual Technical and Agronomy conferences where required or relevant to communicate specific information
- Ability to relate to key client personnel in a professional and credible fashion
- Well-developed personal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with a wide range of employees
- Good interpersonal skills and well developed leadership and management skills
- Ability to delegate effectively and to follow-up as appropriate
- Ability to work as part of a team with colleagues across professional, operational and cultural boundaries and be able to manage and motivate individuals to work and cooperate as a team
- Proactive approach and prompt responses to all service requests
- Ability to identify needs and issues and recommend suitable and pragmatic courses of action and solutions, adopting a risk aware approach
- Good time management and organisational skills with the ability to handle a number of tasks at once and meeting deadlines as required
- Very good organisational skills
- Good IT skills including experience of Word and Excel
- BASIS and FACTS qualifications essential.
- UK (or equivalent) Driving Licence
- Good level of written and spoken English Language
- Thorough knowledge of the soft fruit industry
Excellent opportunity for someone who looks good in wellies.
KPI Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
All candidates registering with KPI Recruitment Ltd. will need to provide proof of identity, and evidence of any experience, training and qualifications our client considers necessary for their position.