Location: East Anglia - Commutable of Bedford, Cambridge, Peterborough, Kettering, Ely
£45,000 - £55,000 (dependent on experience)
A leading food manufacturer who produce a range of delicious sweet and savoury market leading products. With two production sites in the UK, the business supplies frozen desserts, meat free and selected gluten free food to all major multiples in Retail and to the Foodservice sector, including to leading QSRs, Wholesalers and Pubs, among others
What will you be doing?
Full responsibility for all technical and NPD aspects of the designated factories, ensuring that the physical factories and their operations provide for food safety, consistently meet Customer and legal requirements, develop innovative products to the point of launch within the required time frames, and work towards best practice. To identify, evaluate and lead implementation of new technologies through technical and NPD innovation
- Responsible, in conjunction with site senior teams, for developing the site Technical/NPD activities and developing Technical, Process and Product innovation to meet the overall business strategy.
- Implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of a HACCP based quality system, such that, as a minimum, required approvals (typically BRC and customer standards) are achieved and food quality/safety/legality standards are consistently met.
- Auditing of the factory environment and activities to enable full assessment of standards being achieved and any weaknesses to be identified.
- Management of the technical teams, to include recruitment and selection, training and development, performance monitoring, counselling and disciplining.
- Reporting of technical performance of the business, both internally and externally. Ensuring relevant internal personnel are fully aware of technical status and issues which require their input to improve.
- Provision of technical/NPD guidance, training and support to other departments, developing awareness and understanding of technical/NPD issues.
- Working with Customers / Statutory Bodies, implementation of legislation and Customer standards. During factory visits and audits, providing information required and implementing corrective actions where necessary and providing formal responses.
- Work closely with Production and service departments to drive improvement in technical standards and performance (product improvement/development, process and environmental)
- Ensure that new equipment and fabrication will enhance technical performance, and not reduce it.
- Product / process / environmental improvements to meet Customer and legislative requirements and progress against internal KPIs.
- Analysis of microbiological and chemical results / trends and determination of corrective action / preventative measures as required
- Management of serious incidents
- To monitor and control any negative environmental impact arising from the processes within area of responsibility; ensuring that all direct reports and colleagues are briefed and clear in regard to their responsibilities as outlined in the Management System Manual.
- To adhere to the group Health and Safety policy, following all company policies and procedures that have been put in place to ensure your welfare and that of others. Being mindful that the Health, Safety and Wellbeing at work is everyone’s responsibility.
- To Challenge established procedures to ensure the effective use of assets investments and costs. To encourage a positive attitude towards change and continuous improvement within your department and support staff where possible.
- To fully comply with the company behaviour polices and values.
- Contribute to and participate in communication processes upwards and sideways to ensure that the Management Team has a clear understanding of any development opportunities and challenges facing the team.
- Represent the NPD Department to external stakeholders producing professional presentations and building strong relationships.
- Customer & Company Policies - ensure all customer policies are available, understood and followed by NPD
- Proactively prepare innovation ahead of demand to keep the business as the “go to” supplier for new products.
- Liaise with all relevant internal departments to produce high standard costing data that captures all relevant ingredient and production costs
- Ensure Department activities are aligned with the Business Strategy to meet EBITDA targets
Skills & Experience
- Multi-function team management
- Food industry exposure
- Previous dealings with major multiples
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation, and organisational skills
- Team leadership qualities.
- Initiative, self-motivated, well organised and assertive.
- Logical approach, excellent problem solving and decision making skills.
- Working knowledge of BRC standard, HACCP, Food Legislation, and Food Hygiene
- In depth knowledge of Ethical Standards such as Halal, Vegan etc
- In depth knowledge and exposure to Customer Development process
If you would like to hear more about this great opportunity please contact Karan on 0208 004 8411 or alternatively apply now