Senior Concept Technologist
Senior Concept Technologist
Location: East Anglia - Commutable of Bedford, Cambridge, Peterborough, Kettering, Ely
£30,000 - £35,000
What will you be doing?
New product development for all categories, working in harmony with all other functions to ensure concepts are feasible from a process and cost perspective and meets the needs of the customer. The role covers concept development until the point of customer (internal/external) approval after which the product/s will be handed over to the process team to take forward to launch.
- Develop new commercial products (including packaging as required) and where necessary, lead EPD (where organoleptic profile will be affected) in a way that complements the business strategy using commercial and customer feedback, market trends and innovations as well as personal ideas and influences.
- Concept development includes all tasks involved from inception through to customer approval (within which includes activities such as kitchen recipe development, internal panels, through to organising and conducting concept trials and repeating these activities as necessary).
- Work with other internal functions and external suppliers to ensure that products can successfully translate from the kitchen to the production line. This will include an initial feasibility panel to a cross-functional team to ensure concepts are approved before customer presentations.
- Management of concept team assistant to include workload prioritisation, training and development, performance monitoring, counselling and disciplining.
- Organise and attend customer and supplier presentations as necessary, and build and maintain strong professional relationships with them.
- Where required, deputise for the NPD Manager, covering site and/or external meetings/ communication, projects and concept trials to ensure that the day-today activities are maintained.
- Where required, deputise/cover for concept team colleagues, covering meetings/communication, projects and concept trials to ensure that the day-today activities are maintained.
- Ownership of packaging development as required, including brief to suppliers (cutters, new formats etc), artwork and liaising with project teams with milestone requirements such as File-To-Print dates.
- With support from NPD Manager and MP Packaging Team, develop innovative packaging concepts as required to deliver full concept solution to customer.
- Develop products ensuring food safety regulations, policies, and customer food policies are adhered to.
- Ensure all concept development information is accurate and thorough following customer approval to provide a successful handover to process/technical team to take forward to launch.
- Put together costing data including recipe, processing details (where necessary) and packaging in a timely and accurate way. This should be done in consultation with key personnel from other internal functions and/or suppliers.
- Contribute to and participate in communication processes upwards and sideways to ensure that the management team has a clear understanding of any development opportunities and challenges facing the team.
- Proactively resolve day to day issues affecting any NPD/EPD projects and keep the NPD Manager informed of any significant changes or problems that may arise which will impact on goals being achieved or that will affect reputation.
- Within NPD operations, maintain standards of food quality, safety, hygiene and housekeeping consistent with those set by the company and customers.
- To work in a manner that actively seeks to reduce any negative environmental impact in relation to the processes and procedures operating within their area and across the wider business e.g. Reduction of waste, recycling etc.
Skills & Experience
- Proven involvement and/or ownership of launched product into market.
- Relevant third level qualification, food science preferred.
- Able to demonstrate professionalism in all communications both externally and internally through different forms of media.
- Able to handle customers/suppliers with confidence (including meetings, visits and briefings), interacts in a professional manner, building lasting working relationships.
- Able to work as part of a team, including cross-functional teams.
- Good organisational skills – can effectively plan and execute work with the ability to prioritise effectively.
- Able to work on own initiative, requiring minimal supervision and demonstrates a logical approach to problem solving.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
If you would like to hear more about this great opportunity please contact Karan on 0208 004 8411 or alternatively apply now
Apply for Senior Concept Technologist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly