Technical Assistant/Food Technologist
Technical Assistant/Food Technologist
This is a full time (40 hours per week), permanent role. We are based in Melmerby, Ripon, North Yorkshire, public transport is limited so your own transport is desirable.
Reporting directly into the Technical Manager the main objective of this role is to ensure that food safety and quality is the highest priority at all times. To implement and control all procedures set and ensure they are maintained, monitored and accurately documented and regularly challenged without compromise.
A combination of factory and office based tasks, although predominately factory based. The Technical Assistant/Food Technologist will work mainly with the NPD teams, production and technical teams. Reporting directly into the Technical Manager but mainly working alongside the QA Technologist.
- Perform process checks throughout the goods-in, production, packaging, dispatch and warehousing functions of the business.
- Pre-operational checks: cleaning, weight checks, label checks, package integrity, equipment.
- Gathering products for organoleptic checks and daily taste panel and lab testing.
- Assist with daily taste panel
- Plan, package and arrange samples for external lab testing.
- Receive and document batch testing results from the external lab highlighting without fail to the Technical Manager in the first instance any anomalies.
- Oversee processes, verifying compliance to company standards and policies, and effectively communicating when a job is well done and when there are deviations.
- Assist in training employees on food safety, company processes and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Constantly ensure that CCPS are met and that teams understand their relevance. Monitor HACCP (Critical Control Points)
- Maintain accurate and organised records of QA activities, making recommendations for amendments where necessary.
- Perform weekly calibrations of equipment and maintain calibration schedule.
- Assist in the preparation for third party audits, customer visits and BRC.
- Carry out monthly GMP & Glass / Hard Plastic audits
- Generate finished product specifications and control issue to suppliers
- Complete and manage online customer specifications
- Generate and manage product labels ensuring all legal standards are met
- Ownership of specification management updating when changes are made to raw materials, recipes, suppliers etc.
- Generate monthly batch codes; weekly fire registers, monthly use by dates
- Interact with other functions ensuring the food quality and integrity of each product batch meets the set TRUEfoods standards and that the correct procedures have been adhered to.
- Maintaining accurate, up to date records of allergen data, raw material specifications, finished product specifications
- Ownership of supplier approval system and keeping records accurate and up to date
- Ownership of label information and approvals for new products. This includes liaising with printing company, check amendments and approvals.
- Provide support to the Technical Manager.
- All other duties as reasonably requested.
- Food science related degree.
- Placement experience in a food manufacturing environment, ideally factory based.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and interact with all levels of personnel; factory floor to board level.
- Ability to engage and train others, with the foresight to adapt one’s style when required to ensure that ‘the message’ is received and understood.
- High level of organisation and prioritising skills with the ability to see a job through to satisfactory completion.
- Creative problem solving skills – imperative is the need to deliver solutions.
- An understanding and practical experience of HACCP, although training will be given
- Strong numeracy skills.
- Computer literate including the use of Microsoft packages (outlook, word and excel).
- The ability to cope and adapt to change in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- A genuine pride in all that you do and work with the philosophy that ‘fine’ is not good enough.
Full support and on the job training will be given.
The business is willing to support any on-going training at provides a tangible benefit to TRUEfoods and you personally.
Opportunity to further progress and develop within the business.