This Cornwall based business is destined to become a market leader within the food sector and already supplies both well-known UK and European retailers and wholesalers with a range of specialist products. They operate from state-of-the-art facilities and are enjoying considerable growth both in terms of revenue and reputation. Due to expansion, they are now looking to recruit an experienced Production Manager to oversee their site in Central Cornwall. This is a newly created role reporting to the Managing Director and represents an excellent career development opportunity for a high calibre individual with extensive experience in managing production lines across a range of products within the food/drink sectors. It requires someone who is not content to rest on their laurels and who will strive for improvements and efficiencies across every aspect of the operations they manage. This business has a strong track record in investing in technology, sustainability, innovation and staff training.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work as part of a small team as well as individually to manage efficient staff use and delivery efficiency labour savings across all shifts and areas of the business.
- Reporting to the Operations Director be responsible for monitored labour sets and delivering improvements.
- Ensure the factory is always ‘audit ready’.
- Site accountability and autonomy from ‘goods in’ to ‘goods out’; to include: production/manufacturing, continuous improvement, quality, and customer standards
- Ensuring that all workings are manufactured in a correct, cost effective and timely manner in alignment with specifications and quality requirements
- Enhancing operational management systems, processes and best practices that guarantee organisational well-being
- Responsible for management of all technical areas - machine maintenance, cleaning & preventative schedules, tooling changes and set up
- Responsible for daily production performance information, solutions and improvement plans in conjunction with other functions of the business:
- Set objectives for the production environment and implement the systems to monitor to produce basic KPIs - Schedule adherence; quality; stock levels; scrap and waste; safety; audit and hygiene
- Write standard operating systems & prepare schedules (Production, Cleaning & Maintenance)
- Regular reporting to finance and management
- Identify key people of the future, develop staff skills and lead a personal development programme.
- To keep up to date with relevant processing developments, advising and recommending any changes which could make qualitative or quantitative improvements to the efficiency, productivity or costs of the operation.
- To ensure the operational management team are managed, motivated and trained such that their performance is progressively improved.
- To maintain and uphold all aspects of Company Personnel policies, in particular, attendance, standards of discipline and communication such that the management style minimises staff turnover
- Manage key stakeholder relationships including the hosting of visitors/customers/audits
- Maintain and develop the site to the highest food company professional standards
- Run trials and NPD programme in consultation with management and customer input
- Previous experience of running multi-shift short shelf life food production essential.
- Previous experience and proven record of working to BRC and retailer standards.
- Experience and proven track record of successful people management with proven efficiency and cost saving essential.
- Leadership skills with the ability to develop high performing teams is essential.
- Numerate with experience of tracking production statistics, variances, KPIs etc.
- Quick thinking and decisive - Able to work under pressure and short time frames
- Very numerate
- Flexible and adaptable & a good communicator
- Able to work under own initiative but also as a team member
- Want to be in Cornwall for more than a lifestyle choice
- Fresh short life product experience essential.
- Full driving licence is essential and must be able to travel when required
- A desire to deliver results and the drive to exceed expectations
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to be flexible to meet business needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- IT – experienced in using transactional software (MRP) & confident using Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- The ability to multitask
- Strong ability to control and deliver KPIs : labour, stockholding, availability,
- Competitive salary (dependent on experience)
- Relocation assistance
- Bonus scheme
- 32 days holiday (incl. bank holidays)
- Pension (5% contributory matched)
- Life insurance x 3