Technical Manager & Fruit Buyer
Technical Manager & Fruit Buyer
we’re innocent, we’re Europe’s favourite little smoothie company.
As you might have guessed, here at innocent we’re pretty passionate about fruit, and sourcing the finest fruit and ingredients we can find for our drinks.
We’re looking for a Technical Manager with commercial experience to join our Ingredients sourcing and technical team here at Fruit Towers.
We’ve come a long way from selling smoothies in West London in 1999. Today, innocent’s healthy little drinks are flying off the shelves across Western Europe, we’re achieving meaty double-digit growth, and selling over £250m each year of smoothies, juices and coconut water.
We’re going through an exciting period of growth and we need more hands on deck to help us achieve this.
What you’ll be doing:
In this role, you’ll have overall technical and commercial responsibility for finding new suppliers all around the world, making sure we are able to source the best ingredients for our innocent products. You’ll be also working with new and existing ingredient suppliers to make sure they adhere to our super high standards.
You’ll be working closely with your team, to further define our environmental, social and trading policies, and you’ll be in charge of communicating this to our suppliers and growers to make sure everyone’s on board.
As an ingredient whizz, you’ll be the first point of contact for any quality or food safety issues relating to our ingredients. You'll be the person to spot and manage any discrepancies and find the best ways to resolve them as well as to negotiate with our suppliers the best deal for all.
The role will also include some specific technical or commercial project responsibilities, which will be decided later based on the business needs when you join us.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for someone with previous food industry experience as an Ingredient Technologist or Technical Manager, or someone who has been busy building up their technical skills by working with a food retailer or manufacturer. We’re also keen to hire someone with strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills, and commercial awareness.
In order to fit the bill, it's really important that you can back yourself with some great examples from the checklist below:
- A food or science/engineering degree
- Previous experience in a food/drinks technical role, being accountable for quality, food safety, legality and sustainability of either raw materials or finished products (if you’ve already cut your teeth in the chilled juice sector that would be the cherry on top).
- Solid HACCP knowledge and Risk Management skills
- Strong organisational skills and critical thinking - experience dealing with different and conflicting priorities would be ideal
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills - we work with a lot of numbers, so you’ll need to be comfortable manipulating and analysing data in our systems, including Excel
- Clear communicator - ability to translate complex things into a simple and clear messages for a variety of stakeholders
- Negotiation experience and commercial awareness with strong stakeholder management capabilities
- innocent capabilities - we find that people who do really well at innocent tend to have strengths in specific areas. You can find out what they are on our careers site
- Flexibility and commitment - you’ll need to roll up your sleeves and get stuck into a variety of jobs as part of the Fruit Technical team.
Finally, there are plenty of ways of getting things done, but there are five qualities that we'll never compromise on at innocent. To work here you’ll need to live and breathe the values that are central to our business − being natural, responsible, commercial, entrepreneurial and generous.
The role is based in Fruit Towers in West London, but there may be times when you’ll need to travel further afield. Therefore, we’ll need someone who’s game for getting on a plane (or train) every now and again.
As well as the standard stuff you get for turning up for work, we have some great clubs, a free breakfast and as many smoothies as you can shake a stick at.
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
*Dolly Parton may have worked Nine to Five but you don’t have to. We’re all about being healthy and happy here at innocent so we’re open to a chat about flexible working. No promises, but we reckon that if it's good for you, then it's good for us.