Job Title: Engineering Supervisor
Reporting To: Engineering Manager
Responsible For: Day to Day responsibility for the supervision of the engineering team
Job Summary/Purpose: Responsible for the delivery of a schedule of planned and reactive maintenance activity across all factory units, to enable smooth running.
Working Relationships: To promote and maintain effective channels of communication at all levels in the engineering team and to work closely with all Factory Unit operations managers, team leaders and the quality control departments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect facilities on a regular and planned basis to identify problems and plan maintenance as required;
- Prepare weekly maintenance schedules and allocate work to the engineering team, liaising with production management to ensure minimal disruption to ongoing production, particularly in peak season;
- Inspect and maintain building systems on a regular and planned basis;
- Supervise 3rd party contractors during installations, repairs and planned maintenance, ensuring safe systems of work and site procedures are followed at all times;
- Participate in and coordinate engineering project tasks, such as renovations and new equipment installs, and look to make improvements to existing equipment as appropriate;
- Diagnose faults and putting forward improvements, suggestions and undertake work to make improvements as required;
- Ensuring 24 hour 7 day a week engineering cover in the event of a breakdown to minimise down time in production;
- Be hands-on when required to assist engineering team members with breakdowns to minimise down-time and ensure lines are back up and running as quickly and safely as possible;
- Ensuring all duties are carried out in accordance with current legislation and company procedures, particularly relating to (though not exclusively to) health and safety and quality;
- Monitor inventory of materials and equipment
- Contribute to the development and ongoing monitoring of the maintenance budget, ensuring compliance to budget at all times.
- Supervise and train maintenance technicians.
- Formal professional training and qualifications in engineering fields such as electrical, mechanical, pneumatics and plumbing
- Proven experience as a maintenance supervisor, team-leader or similar role, ideally in a comparable food manufacturing environment
- Strong technical knowledge of all building systems, production lines and automated equipment
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations and safe working practices
- Ability to plan both routine maintenance and projects - task and project management ability
- Attention to detail and a desire to get it right first time; Prior knowledge / experience in maintaining PPM systems
- Excellent leadership abilities and experience in managing teams
- Strong communication and people skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Understanding of budgeting and cost control of maintenance budgets
- Computer Literate.
- Experience or knowledge/understanding of working in a high care environment
- Higher level qualification or degree in Production, Engineering or related field.