Location: Based in Forest Gate
Type of role: Full Time, Permanent
Reporting to: General Manager
Hovis Limited is a vertically integrated baking and flour milling business currently operated by The Gores Group as part of a stand-alone joint venture. The Company was created in April 2014 to help release new investment to upgrade its operational infrastructure and reinvigorate the Hovis brand, building on its rich heritage. Nish Kankiwala our new CEO brings a wealth of commercial and marketing experience from previous roles with Unilever, Pepsico and Burger King. He has been an integral part of the business for the past 2 years and has recently taken over as CEO.
A great opportunity has arisen at Hovis we're looking for a Technical Manager at our site in Forest Gate to manage all aspects of Quality, Food Safety & Legality at the Forest Gate site. To drive continuously for improvement in site standards by advising site Operations and Engineering teams in technical matters, identify issues, problem solve and ensure root cause is identified and corrective and preventative actions are taken.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Accountable for Quality and Food Safety of the plant, ensuring full compliance with Company Quality, Food Safety, Legal, Health & Safety and Environmental requirements.
- Responsible for the implementation of central standards & BRC Standard for Food Safety requirements.
- Pro-actively lead initiatives to continuously improve the Quality performance within the factory. This is achieved by identifying and implementing key performance indicators for Quality and Food Safety and leading initiatives to improve the performance. This will result in a Quality Programme that provides support and leadership to all site functions.
- To play a pro-active role on the Site Leadership Team at Forest Gate. To provide leadership on Quality and Food Safety issues in addition to supporting other Productivity, Safety and Sustainability initiatives that are undertaken within the plant.
- To ensure compliance to Health & Safety regulations both within the Technical department and on a wider basis, within the Forest Gate plants.
- To manage the Budget for the Technical department. Accountable for the implementation of appropriate Financial Controls to ensure that the spend is appropriately managed and cost saving initiatives identified and initiated where appropriate.
- To take an active part in the promotion, implementation and development of the Company’s Total Quality process. To apply a Total Quality approach throughout the full range of responsibilities.
- Responsible for the development, implementation & maintenance of a food defence programme for the site.
- Coordinates customer interface where required.
- To manage the Organisational Development of the Technical Team at Forest Gate. This includes defining the Departmental Structure and ensuring that every individual receives feedback about their performance through appraisal and adequate training and development through participation in their own Personal Development Plan.
- To play an active and influential role in the Quality and Technical community for Hovis Ltd. To share Quality and Food Safety initiatives, Quality Best Practice and KPI’s with Quality and Technical professionals from other plants in the business.
- To deputise as appropriate, in accordance with the Incident Crisis Management Manual.
- Site point of contact for Central Compliance Team.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in senior technical role in food manufacturing, retail or service
- People management experience
- HACCP/Pest Control experience
- Budget management
- Systematic problem solving
- Influencing and challenging
- Ability to manage customers and enforcement authorities
- Relevant qualification in Food Science
- Change management
- Project management
- Product knowledge
- H&S knowledge
- Previous responsibility for hygiene
Closing Date: Tuesday 15th August 2017
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK