Location: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire
Hours of Work: 4on 4off shift pattern, NIGHTS
Overall Purpose of the Role:
To lead production staff to deliver a quality and customer focused efficient packing operation on a day to day basis ensuring that production is planned for the products to be packed on time to meet scheduled collection times and budgetary constraints.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Accountable for developing and maintaining a highly competent and engaged team by identifying areas of improvement in order to maintain a high skill base during weekends, holidays or increased shift levels.
- Work with the operations and planning teams to ensure the correct stock is available for production on time and with the correct quantities.
- Manage specific shift within MMUK Packhouse and supporting departments to achieve operational targets & ensure procedures are adhered to.
- Contribute to the achievement of budgetary targets & business plan.
- Support Senior Operations Manager with reliable and accurate information and analysis regarding departmental performance.
- Monitor daily performance of the packhouse and taking a proactive approach to improve underperforming areas through coaching, training and redeployment of skills as necessary.
- Lead and encourage active participations in daily meetings, reporting/ highlighting any areas of concern. Innovate new ways of working utilising the current framework and add value.
- To work pro-actively with agency providers and on site coordinators to address any areas of concern.
- Oversee the resourcing within the department to ensure that Working Time Directive and ETI Base Code obligations are met.
- Conduct 1:1 meetings with direct reports and invest time in coaching and succession planning.
- Develop and maintain a highly competent and engaged team through by use of a written training matrix and competency testing in order to maintain a high skill base during weekends, holidays or increased shift levels, ensuring that customer service levels and production efficiencies are maintained.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the tasks and the role might include additional duties associated with smooth running of the department.
- Production management experience in a labour intensive, high volume, fast moving environment supplying retailers, probably gained within the Food, Fresh Produce or Horticultural sectors.
- Working with agency labour providers and agency team members from various cultural backgrounds.
- A working knowledge of Warehouse management systems such as Rubicon would be an advantage.
- Working to British Retail Consortium manufacturing standards and managing the audit process from production / operations team perspective.
- Experience within a management role within production environment is essential along with operating within a KPI’s driven structure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Proven experience in driving through continuous improvement activities.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent leadership, problem solving and analysis skills.
- Commercial awareness.
- Experience of leading and managing people.
- Understanding of working to KPI’s and Objectives
- Understanding of HACCP principles and application.
- Use of mainframe computer systems such as Rubicon, Prophet etc.
- Able to present information and proposals in a logical and convincing manner.
- Up to date knowledge of the capacity, packing speed and working methods with fruit and flowers.
- Understanding of budget targets and KPI’s that influence the Packhouse.
- Flexible, challenges the norm and has a positive approach to change.
- A cost focussed individual who continually assesses the impact of their decisions on the financial performance of the pack house.
- An innovative individual who responds positively to a challenge and remains calm and focused and has the ability to think outside the box.
- An approachable individual with integrity who is willing to listen and actively encourage subordinates to contribute to the success of the team.
- Personally driven to succeed with a can do passionate approach.