Senior Operations Manager
Senior Operations Manager
Location: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire
Overall Purpose of the Role:
This is a demanding and challenging role, within a fast paced and dynamic environment. Reporting to the Head of Operations, the position will be responsible for the day to day management of the MMUK Grape operation and all related areas.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Develop and maintain strong leadership across the MMUK site, ensuring at all times that a well-structured and motivated team is in place and champion the SHQQC (Safety, Health, Quality, Quantity and Cost) philosophy across the production facility
- Direct input into Grape Steering Group projects
- Responsible for MMUK operational profit and loss, budget responsibility and indirect management of 130+ staff (rising to 200+ staff at peak)
- Ensure that finished products are consistently manufactured meeting prescribed standards, on time and meeting consumer expectations.
- Lead the site delivery of customer standards with a focus on embedding lean principles within the site - drive a continuous improvement culture.
- Ensure on-going smooth operation of the factory through employee relations maintaining a safe working environment striving for zero accidents through continuous coaching on safety behaviours
- Ensure effective teamwork throughout the site operation where any potential conflict is minimised.
- Promote the business as a “learning environment” which facilitates the development of staff within the objective of continuous improvement and empowerment.
- Operate in a flexible manner, responding to changing circumstances/scenarios, with the capacity to “make things happen”.
- Ensure systematic planning and control of all operational management activities
- Maximise productivity with a proactive strategy for further investment to sustain competitive advantage and reduce operating costs
- Ensure the optimum use of resources – people, plant and equipment, inventory, information systems.
- Control and minimise manufacturing inventory, maintenance, distribution and other variable overheads
- Ensure that an effective communication system is in place which should include team briefings and weekly management meetings
- Encourage the development and use of cost controls with an emphasis on measurement, achievement of budget and continued cost effectiveness.
- Mentor and coach current direct line reports
This is not an exhaustive list of all the tasks and the role might include additional duties associated with smooth running of the department.
- Demonstrate excellent organisation and planning skills - have implemented good systems and processes, influencing behavioural change.
- Have driven improvements in reduction of waste, labour cost, machine efficiencies, etc.
- Proactive cooperation - the ability to work collaboratively with all other functions, demonstrating commitment to achieve group objectives.
- Previous experience in a senior operations role in a high-speed Food or drinks (FMCG) manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills and coaching skills - be passionate about people and their development.
- A proven track record of People Management and development, with experience of managing very large and complex teams within a food manufacturing facility.
- Extensive operational management experience,
- Exposure and knowledge of Lean Manufacturing in a chilled or similar fast moving environment
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Well-developed financial skills, comfortable with dealing with complex financial data
- High degree of tenacity, determination and persistence to ensure goals are achieved
- Experience of Food Safety/Quality as well as Health and Safety a must as is an in-depth knowledge of the various multiple quality protocols.