Food Technical Developer
As a business, we believe in giving dynamic newly qualified food professionals the opportunity to gain experience in a fast paced passionate business, learning many skills on the job to get you started in the industry. We will consider graduates and those with some experience and looking to broaden their knowledge quickly in lots of categories.
We now have an opportunity for a Food Technical Developer, on the creative end of the spectrum, if this is you and you like the sound of what you have read about the business, do not hesitate to contact us. In the first instance send us your CV, Salary expectations and a reason why you believe your skills and talents must be given an opportunity.
In this role you will be supporting the day-to-day operation of the business and the work of the Directors to deliver customer briefs for a wide variety of private label, branded and food service clients.
You will work with both clients and the internal team and be involved in all aspects of the NPD process from initial concept to launch. This role has a particular focus on the quality and technical aspects of product development. The projects you work on will be broad ranging, across a number of categories and involve all temperature regimes.
Reporting to: Innovation & Product Development Director – New Business dotted line Technical Manager.
- Full responsibility for the delivery of client briefs on time and within budget including their project management.
- Undertake work on client briefs with both clients and food and beverage manufacturers to produce new & innovative products, upgraded/renovated products or product line extensions following the stage and gate development process to agreed timelines and budget, ensuring technical integrity at all times.
- Take full responsibility for the development, management and, as appropriate, updating of technical specifications and ensure legally compliant in the country they will be sold in.
- To take responsibility for auditing food and beverage manufacturing sites when required.
- Take full responsibility for the development through to approval of all technical pack copy – ingredients lists, nutritional data, front of pack claims etc.
- To visit food and beverage manufacturers and clients for meetings or to attend trials/launches at all times maintaining a professional approach whilst representing the business and its clients.
- To keep abreast of developments in processing, ingredients and changes to food legislation, packaging and ingredient technology demonstrating the ability to include in project work where relevant.
- To keep abreast of consumer trends and demonstrate an understanding of their impact on shopping behaviour in communicating both internally and externally.
- To keep abreast of the latest food, beverage and packaging trends and new range launches by regularly visiting stores and learn to effectively translate learnings for the good of the business.
- Liaison with relevant technical/ scientific bodies to ensure most up to date response for client’s needs.
This role would best suit:
- A highly motivated self-starter, who is able to apply existing knowledge elsewhere in new arenas. The role would suit an emerging leader, keen to learn and progress in the industry.
- A candidate can be relied upon to deliver and who is willing to go the extra mile when required.
- A relationship builder who is comfortable meeting lots of new people and has the ability to develop rapport with clients, project stakeholders and internally.
- Someone who enjoys working as part of a team and has the capabilities to work with a wide range of people from diverse professional backgrounds.
- An exceptional communicator with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Someone with exceptional planning and organisational skills who can manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Candidates with a passion for food and drink with high quality standards, who love cooking and are willing to eating all foods.
Qualifications & Experience
- Relevant degree in a food related discipline i.e. Food Science /Food Technology and a minimum of 1 year experience in the food industry post-graduation.
- Experience of working both in food manufacturing and food retailing preferred.
- Experience of supplier auditing and audit systems.
- Experience of the full product development process from concept through to launch with thorough knowledge of the Stage & Gate process.
- Experience of/with working with major retailers’ technical specification systems.
- Computer literate in Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Basic / Intermediate / Advanced Food Hygiene.
- Clean driving license.
We look forward to hearing from you.