Our client is entering a very exciting period of growth focusing on investment and development of their existing strong brands sold across the UK and parts of Europe.
The business are now looking for a creative and innovation focused R&D Development Manager to build upon ideas and turn them into practical propositions suitable for production. This position is based in out our clients new modernised offices and features cutting-edge facilities and equipment, including micro-analytical technology, development kitchens and packaging labs.
The site has a large pilot plant that allows staff to scale up production, with room to expand when new technology comes on line. The centre, which houses 30 full-time R&D staff.
Nature & Scope of Job:
- The R&D department is part of the Marketing Team and focuses on providing a cost effective technical support and new packaging, product and process development service to the Dairy Crest business.
- To identify and evaluate new NPD ideas/concepts for branded label in order to develop a NPD funnel for 3-5 years.
- Manage development concept from idea generation to approval of concept, ensuring key feasibility and technical evaluations are conducted.
- Hand project over to R&D Delivery Development Manager Cheese Brands or R&D Third Party Manager after jointly running a successful scale up trial.
- A high proportion of development briefs are abstract and require the creative skill, process and product knowledge and experience of the R&D Development Manager Innovation to assist in their interpretation and then turn them into practical propositions suitable for production.
- Communication with the Marketing team to effectively promote ideas and gain feedback is then required to ensure the Marketing needs are accurately met.
- Excellent communication and project management skills are required to motivate and manage actual and virtual project teams to do things without line authority.
- Experience and skill may be required to creatively overcome any difficulties encountered during development and initial pilot /production trials.
- Controlling a small of significant development project whilst simultaneously adhering to the NPD processes, communicating with business and production personnel to react quickly to customer needs.
- Maintaining adequate communications with Marketing, Innovation, Purchasing, Production, Technical and other key personnel to ensure cost effective discharge of responsibilities.
- Gaining Purchasing, Production, Technical and Marketing commitment to new products, alternative ingredients and processes.
- Communicating technical ideas to non-technical personnel.
- Obtaining access to factory manufacturing equipment for trials, due to demands on regular manufacture.
- Engender a culture and working environment in which morale and motivation is maintained for the Assistant R&D Development Technologist reporting into this role.