Group Indirect Buyer
To support the Head of Indirect Procurement in developing group procurement across all Indirect categories and implementing robust category management to deliver a step change in Indirect purchasing costs for the Group.
(This profile is not meant to be an exhaustive list of roles and responsibilities which may well evolve over time).
- Deliver cost reduction, supplier rationalisation and reduction in complexity through robust category management across a broad range of Indirect categories.
- Maintain and development relationships with all existing and potential suppliers, including carrying out regular reviews.
- Identify synergies and opportunities for collaborative purchasing and cost reduction projects across the businesses within the Group, through interaction with key stakeholders and suppliers and robust data analysis.
- Manage and influence internal stakeholders to engage and participate in group purchasing activities.
- Develop and run competitive tendering processes, including e-auctions where appropriate, and negotiate with suppliers to deliver greatest value in terms of quality, service and total cost in use.
- Ensure the businesses are up to speed and aware of new information and innovation concepts; this could via communication in all formats as well as supplier surveys, visits and presentations. This may involve a proposal of a new supplier which will involve due diligence work.
- Negotiate commercial and contractual terms with suppliers and ensure formal contracts are in place.
- To maintain the spend categorisation, including data cleanse and standardisation of data in spend systems and reports.
- Alongside the Head of Indirect Procurement advise on pricing for budgets and forecasts for businesses, using category data and knowledge.
- Develop and produce reports on your categories as instructed by the Head of Indirect Procurement, including tracking of savings.
- Act as a point of escalation to resolve issues raised between sites and suppliers.
- Role is Leicester based but will involve visits to suppliers and attending meetings at other Samworth Brothers sites.
- 2-3 years purchasing experience, ideally within a food manufacturing environment.
- Work as part of the site purchasing team, as part of the wider site but also in conjunction with the supply base to the site.
- This role requires strong communication skills (written & verbal) with respect to the content and quality of the communication, as well as delivery method - verbal and written communication form the backbone of this role.
- Educated to Graduate level or demonstrable and relevant experience.
- Good attention to detail.
- Planning and organisational skills.
- Professional approach.
- Calm & measured approach in an often pressured environment which often involves working to tight deadlines.
- Ability to influence at all levels within the business.
- A “can do” attitude and “hands on” approach.
- Microsoft computer literate (either to Internal standard or Advanced ) level, particularly use of Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Experience of Mintec Basic Training ideal but not necessary.
- Experience of e-Sourcing preferred.
- Ability to approach things pragmatically and consider solutions that deliver on different levels to the business (eg: no detriment to quality, total cost of ownership, innovation and continuous improvement).
- Full Driving license and the willingness to travel within the UK and potentially within the EU.
- CIPS qualified or working towards.
A big part of the role is building good working relationships with all sites across all departments. Clear, prompt and timely communication via phone, email and face to face are a key requirement.
Great team working skills are very important, both within this small team working closely supporting each other with business challenges as well as part of wider cross-functional teams on categories and projects.
PLANNING & ORGANISATION
Strong planning and organisational skills are a fundamental requirement, as this role will involve balancing the daily duties alongside more long term project work and any unexpected issues that can arise.
A positive and self-driven attitude is important as you will be working independently for a large amount of time and must be able to motivate self to get the job done without external reminders.
Ability to tackle issues linked to the general duties which will involve some lateral and innovative thinking to deliver value.