Salary: £35,000 / Location: Cobham, Surrey
An amazing opportunity has arisen to work at the forefront of British plant breeding with a company renowned for their innovation and creativity in developing new fresh product concepts for professional growers.
Pre-eminent in the UK, the company also has operations in Spain, the USA and Australia and has industry partnerships in numerous other locations around the world. Taking responsibility for breeding new varieties on a range of vegetable crops, they are seeking a "blue sky thinker" who is a hands on innovator within their speciality.
Reporting to the Senior Plant Breeder, after an initial period of working under supervision on their full range of breeding programmes to gain experience, the successful candidate would then specialise in a smaller product portfolio. The breeding work will be entirely field and greenhouse based with appropriate support from the laboratory team.
- Develop a full understanding of the international fresh produce industry through regular customer interaction
- Ability to independently develop unique new commercially successful varieties
- Develop an understanding of changing market conditions and consumer trends
- Ability to gain and asses the knowledge relevant to ensure the breeding programme remains commercially relevant
- Awareness of up to date scientific advances in plant breeding techniques
- A talent for innovation and autonomous work
- A relevant plant-based biological degree and appropriate postgraduate qualification.
- Highly motivated team player and an excellent communicator.
- Practical ‘hands on’ approach to plant breeding and able to take a willing attitude to assisting with all tasks in the breeding department as required.
- Experience with the commercial fresh produce sector is desirable.
- Organised and shows initiative, pride and passion for quality and performance.
- Computer skills and experience with Microsoft outlook, Excel and Word.
- Must have a valid driving licence.
- Full Time, permanent position.
- 24 days annual holiday, increasing with length of service.
- Group company pension.
- Training provided.
- Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £35,000.00 /year
Required education: Master's
Apply for Plant Breeder
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly