Grower Assistant Manager
Grower Assistant Manager
Salary £22,000 / Location Cobham, Surrey
We are working with an independent British vegetable breeding company that produces and markets seeds to professional growers. The company has operations based in the UK, Spain, USA and Australia and has industry partnerships in numerous other locations around the world. We are seeking a talented individual to join their team to assist with the production of vegetable seed crops at their breeding station.
To assist the nursery manager in all operations required for producing vegetable seed crops in a protected environment. The right candidate will supervise and assist with operations for cultivation, planting, irrigation, nutrition, pesticide applications, general nursery maintenance and harvesting of seed crops.
- Carry out and co-ordinate plans for soil cultivation, nutrition, irrigation and pest management for all crops at the nursery.
- Carry out and co-ordinate planting, crop husbandry and harvesting of all crops within the nursery.
- Carry out and co-ordinate pesticide applications at the nursery under direction from the grower manager.
- Carry out general maintenance and repair of equipment, machinery, buildings and infrastructure.
- Occasionally assume supervisory role for the nursery in the absence of the nursery manager
- 1-2 years previous experience in fresh produce production, horticulture or agriculture would be an advantage.
- A degree or other accredited qualification in an agriculture/horticulture or related science would be an advantage.
- Pesticide application level qualified PA1 and PA6 required.
- Can operate & maintain a wide range of horticultural equipment and irrigation systems.
- Team player and an excellent communicator you will need to form effective cross departmental working relationships with colleagues throughout the business.
- Highly organised and an ability to prioritise is essential as well as a pride and passion for quality and performance.
- Proactive and demonstrates extremely high attention to detail with all operations and record keeping.
- Basic computer skills are necessary and experience with Microsoft outlook, Excel and Word.
- Must have a valid driving license and be physically able to carry out manual work.
- Must be willing to work occasional extra hours in order to get the job done.
- 24 days annual holiday + bank holidays.
- Group company pension.
- Life insurance.
- Training provided.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £22,000.00 /year
- Fresh produce/Agriculture/Horticulture: 2 years
Required licence or certification: